Trial for East Cowes man accused of breaching councillor's restraining order

Trial for East Cowes man accused of breaching councillor's restraining order
Trial for East Cowes man accused of breaching councillor's restraining order

THE trial of a man who denied twice breaching a restraining order against an Isle of Wight Councillor has been pushed back for a second time.

East Cowes man, Simon Wheeler, was due to stand trial at the Isle of Wight Magistrates' Court today (Thursday) but due to his defence solicitor being unwell has had his case adjourned again.

The 56-year-old also denies using threatening or abusive words or behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress following an incident at a public meeting in March this year, where he allegedly broke his restraining order against Cllr Karl Love.

It is alleged Mr Wheeler also breached the order in February this year.

The trial had already been adjourned from September due to Mr Wheeler's ill health.

Mr Wheeler was present at court this morning but an issue with his representation saw the trial moved to next year.

Ann Smout, prosecuting, said she did not oppose the application and said while it was in the interest of justice to deal with matters quickly, it was also in the interest of justice for proper legal representation.

The case has now been adjourned until March 2 and Mr Wheeler was granted conditional bail.