Family pays heartfelt tribute to woman, 21, who died on M4 near Swindon

Jodie Costello. Picture: WILTSHIRE POLICE
Jodie Costello. Picture: WILTSHIRE POLICE

TRIBUTES have been paid to a woman who died on the M4 at the weekend.

Jodie Costello from Wroughton died on Saturday following an incident on the eastbound carriageway near the A4361 road bridge between junctions 15 and 16.

The 21-year-old's family shared one of their favourite photos of Jodie and said: “Jodie was a well-loved daughter and sister and will be sincerely missed by everyone who knew her.

“Please respect our privacy as we deal with our loss.”

READ MORE: Woman dies in early morning crash on M4

Police shut the motorway in both directions at 9.30am on October 1 then reopened the westbound carriageway while they continued investigating the scene.

A police spokesman added: "Although formal identification has not yet taken place, we believe the deceased to be Jodie.

"Enquiries into the circumstances surrounding Jodie’s death are ongoing, however, we do not believe there to be any suspicious circumstances.

"Our thoughts remain with Jodie’s family and friends at this difficult time.

"Anyone who witnessed the incident should call the Serious Collision Investigation Team at Police Headquarters on 01225 694597.

"Alternatively, they can contact the team directly by emailing"

Wiltshire Police have launched an investigation and called for witnesses to come forward.

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson said: "We are appealing for witnesses to a fatal collision on the M4 in the early hours of this morning (01/10).

"At approximately 2am today, officers attended an incident between junction 15 and 16 of the motorway, near the road bridge (A4361) near Wroughton.

"Sadly, a young woman died at the scene.

"Our thoughts are with her family at this very difficult time. Please respect their wishes and do not contact them at this time."

Throughout the morning, police closed the motorway through Swindon in both directions.

At around 9:30am the westbound side of the carriageway reopened for traffic.

Initially National Highways diverted vehicles up the Junction 15 slip road which caused traffic to back up on the approach to the turn off but this was lifted towards the end of the morning.

The eastbound carriageway remained closed for approximately twelve hours, whilst police conducted their investigations.

Motorists were diverted through Swindon town centre, which caused chaos on the town’s major roads and disruption to the bus network.

Bus services were delayed for at least 20 minutes which threw the timetable out of the window.