Two men charged with Boxing Day murder of Cody Fisher

Two men have been charged with the Boxing Day murder of footballer Cody Fisher.

Kami Carpenter, 21, and Remy Gordon, 22, have been charged with killing the 23-year-old at the Crane nightclub in Digbeth, Birmingham, just before midnight on Boxing Day, West Midlands Police said on Saturday.

The pair, both from Birmingham, were also charged with affray and have been remanded into custody ahead of appearing at Birmingham Magistrates’ Court on January 2.

Digbeth Boxing Day incident
Police outside the Crane nightclub in Digbeth (Phil Barnett/PA)

According to police, Mr Fisher was stabbed on the dance floor of the nightclub, which had its licence suspended for 28 days on Friday.

This followed accusations from West Midlands Police that there had been “serious management failings” at the venue on the night of Mr Fisher’s death.

The police’s application for the review said Mr Fisher died during “a fight on the dancefloor” and officers who attended “described a scene of chaos and evidence of drug use within the premises”.

Officers recovered a knife from the crime scene, and a post-mortem examination has confirmed that Mr Fisher died of a stab wound.

He was remembered by his girlfriend, Jess Chatwin, in an emotional message posted on Twitter the day after his death.

She wrote: “You didn’t deserve any of this. I’m so sorry this has happened to you my baby please come home. I love you forever Cody Fisher.”

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

A statement published by the police and attributed to Mr Fisher’s family said: “They have broken our hearts; I have lost my best friend. My family and I are asking for privacy and respectfulness at this heart-breaking time.”

Detective Chief Inspector Ian Ingram, from West Midlands Police homicide unit, said after the pair were charged: “This is a significant development in our investigation as we seek to get justice for Cody, his family and friends.

“We’ve received fantastic support from the public who’ve really helped us in our inquiries so far.

“However, we’re still really keen to hear from anyone with information who has not already spoken to us. Every piece of information helps our investigation.”

A 22-year-old man, also arrested on suspicion of the murder, has been released on bail while inquiries continue.

Four other people arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender have also been released on bail.