Shiregreen Deaths: Two People Charged After Two Children Die In 'Serious Incident' In Sheffield

Chris York
A forensic officer at a property on Gregg House Road in Shiregreen, Sheffield, after six children were taken to hospital following a

Two people have been charged after two teenage boys died following a “serious incident” at a residential property in Shiregreen, Sheffield. 

A 37-year-old man and a 34-year-old woman, who were arrested on suspicion of murder, will appear in court on Monday, police said.

Detectives are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

Police were called at around 7.30am on Friday to reports of concern for safety at a property in Gregg House Road. 

Six children in total were taken to hospital. Two boys, aged 13 and 14, died while four other children, aged 11, 10, three and seven months who cannot be named for legal reasons, were released from hospital on Saturday afternoon.

Speaking at the scene on Friday, Superintendent Paul McCurry said the four children in hospital were not in a life threatening condition.

He said: “They are conscious. They are being given the necessary care that they need. And they will be in hospital for certainly the next few hours.”

The officer said: “I am aware of wider speculation regarding the use of weapons.

“At the moment there is no wider risk to the community in Sheffield.”

Residents had speculated that there had been a shooting at the property but police confirmed that is not the case.

Labour MP for Sheffield Brightness and Hillsborough, which covers Shiregreen Gill Furniss tweeted that she had been “deeply saddened” by the tragedy. She added: “My sympathies are with the loved ones of the children who have lost their lives. Shiregreen is a strong community - I know the whole area is shaken by what has happened.” 

A neighbour who asked not to be named, said on Friday: “ I was on the bus and had to get off before it turned onto Gregg House Road because there was a police car blocking it.

“So walked towards school and could see police cars, ambulances and it was all blocked off and we had to walk the long way around.

“When we got to school there was an air ambulance parked on the school yard. As I was walking away I could hear sirens for a long time either going to scene or away.”