Girl And Friend Killed On Rail Line Named

Girl And Friend Killed On Rail Line Named

A teenage boy and girl from the same school have died after being hit by a high-speed train in Hertfordshire.

The youngsters - named as 15-year-old Charleigh Disbrey and Mert Karaoglan, 18, - are believed to have climbed over a fence close to Elstree and Borehamwood station.

There are no level crossings near the station and the deaths are not being treated as suspicious.

Charleigh, a singer whose music videos have been viewed thousands of times on YouTube, was in year 10 at Hertswood Academy in Borehamwood. Mert was in year 13.

Headteacher Paul Gillett said: "As a close community, obviously we are devastated by this tragedy. Both students were talented, hard working and well respected members of our academy. 

"Our thoughts are with their families at this most difficult time.  We are supporting our students and staff in coping with this terrible loss."

Friends of the two teenagers paid tribute to the pair on social networking sites.

One Twitter user wrote: "I'm actually so shocked. I saw them walking together like nearly everyday on the way to Hertswood. They looked so happy. #RIP"

Another said they would both be missed, adding: "I hope heaven looks after you."

"I will never forget you and the memories we made," a friend of Charleigh posted on Facebook.

"At peace and with the angels. God bless," wrote another.

A spokesman for British Transport Police said both teenagers had been pronounced dead at the scene.

"Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the two teenagers involved in last night's tragic and acutely sad incident," said Superintendent Phil Wilkinson.

"Although my officers are continuing their investigations, as part of our work to prepare a file for the local coroner, there are not thought to be any suspicious circumstances and no one else is believed to have been involved."

The empty First Capital Connect train was travelling from St Albans to Sutton when the youngsters were struck.

A spokesman for the train operator said: "This was a shocking incident and our hearts go out to all those involved."