Cambridge, with its bygone charm, has long been a favoured staycation destination for Londoners looking to spend a leisurely afternoon punting along the River Cam.
This August bank holiday weekend, Uber has launched Uber Boat for the first time in Cambridge, meaning prospective riders can book a punting trip through the ride share app.
With boats and chauffeurs provided by Tyrrell’s Punting Cambridge and Cambridge Punters, the 40-minute punting trips will be available to book on August 22, 23 and 24 and will cost £10 a trip for up to eight passengers.
Uber Boat is the latest expansion from Uber this year, as it added a public transport option in April and launched its electric JUMP bicycles in London in May.
Fred Jones, Head of New Mobility at Uber, said: “This year has been all about expanding the many ways you can travel using the Uber app - whether it’s in a car, on the tube or with a JUMP bike. What better way to finish the summer than punting boats, a classic English pastime, booked through Uber app.”
How to book an Uber Boat punting tour in Cambridge
1. Open the Uber app in Cambridge on August 22, 23 and 24.
2. Select Uber Boat and book a tour for up to eight people.
3. Once confirmed, passengers will need to walk immediately to the pick-up dock. Your Uber app will direct you to the dock, or you can use other mapping to meet outside La Mimosa Restaurant, 1 Thompsons Ln, Cambridge CB5 8AQ.
4. You will need to be within a 1-mile radius on La Mimosa Restaurant when you book, otherwise Uber Boat will not appear on the app.
5. Be sure to double check your Captain’s name and photo as well as the boat number in your app.