It may feel like a long way off, but now could be the perfect time to start making bank holiday plans for next year.
After all, everyone loves those long four-day weekends spent in the sun, and some extra time-off every few months does wonders to recharge the batteries.
Starting this early also means you could pick up some great holiday bargains, so it's never too soon to begin your essential holiday research.
So if you're already thinking about annual leave next year, here are all of the bank holiday dates for the UK in 2020.
But remember, it's worth nothing next year's early May Day holiday will be pushed back four days, to coincide with the 75th anniversary of VE Day.
How many bank holidays do we get a year?
We have a total of eight bank holidays throughout the year in England and Wales, while there are nine in Scotland and 10 in Northern Ireland.
What is a bank holiday?
- Read more
National holidays in the UK have been referred to as “bank” holidays since the late 19th century, because traditionally, on these days, banks would close their doors for trading.
Nowadays most of the working population will be granted the day off and many banks and government offices remain closed. A number of shops still operate as usual on bank holidays, albeit often with reduced trading hours.
2020 bank and public holidays in the UK
- New Year's Day: Wednesday January 1
- 2nd January: Thursday January 2 (Scotland only)
- St Patrick's Day: Tuesday March 17 (Northern Ireland only)
- Good Friday: Friday April 10
- Easter Monday: Monday April 13
- Early May bank holiday: Friday May 8
- Spring bank holiday: Monday May 25
- Summer bank holiday: August 3 (Scotland only)
- Battle of the Boyne: Monday July 13 (Northern Ireland only)
- Summer Bank Holiday: Monday 5 August (Scotland only)
- Summer Bank Holiday: Monday August 31 (England, Wales and Northern Ireland only)
- St Andrew's Day: Monday November 30
- St Andrew’s Day: Monday 2 December (Scotland only)
- Christmas Day: Friday December 25
- Boxing Day: Monday December 28
Other days to remember
- Mother's Day: Sunday March 22
- Father's Day: Sunday June 21
- Halloween: Sunday October 31
- Bonfire Night: Thursday November 5