UK households can get free £470 payment towards their council tax

Thousands of households with a council tax reduction can cut their bills by a further £470 with a simple move. The Household Support Fund provides cash-first support which can help you with your living costs after it was expanded by the Conservative Party.

North of the border in Falkirk, households will be given a council tax reduction. You will be eligible for this support if you get Council Tax Reduction, Housing Benefit, Universal Credit (UC), Income Support/Income based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)/Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Pension Credit.

You can also get this support if you have an equivalent low income (i.e., your household is not currently in receipt of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction but would be eligible if an application was made), the local authority has confirmed.

READ MORE New work from home rules in UK and employers can take staff to tribunal

You can also get this support if you have an Young Person's Council Tax Exemption, or you have no recourse to public funds. The council states: "If you are referred to the fund and meet the eligibility criteria, you can expect to get your payment within 10 working days, and we will notify you about this via text-message.

"The amount you will get depends on the number of people in your household. A single adult will receive £110. Any additional individual (I.e. a partner or dependent child) will result in a further £90. For example, a couple with no dependent children would receive £200. A couple with one dependent child would receive £290 and so on.

"If you are referred to the fund as a single non-dependent you will receive a payment of £90 (a non-dependant is typically a grown-up son or daughter or elderly relative living with a named householder but who is not liable for paying rent under a formal arrangement). Any dependent child will still account for £90, i.e. a non-dependent with one child would receive £180."