UK tourists sent two-word message over their holiday 'are entitled compensation'

Brits who've had a half-term holiday delayed or cancelled have been told they "should" have received a refund from holiday companies and operators. Kelly Johnstone, a tourism expert from Avanti Travel Insurance, warned half-term holidays could lead to flight delays.

She advised: "When faced with a travel disruption, your first port of call should be to contact your holiday providers. Travel providers, such as airlines and cruise lines, should offer you a refund or the chance to change the dates you travel if they cancel your booking."

She explained: "If your flight is 'significantly delayed' your airline is required to provide you with care and assistance. The kind of support and compensation you'll receive depends on how long your wait is and how far you're travelling.

READ MORE UK set for three sizzling 30C heatwaves with England 'hotter than Portugal'

"You can easily find out if you qualify for support or compensation by checking the CAA [Civil Aviation Authority] website." Kelly said: "If you’ve contacted your travel providers and they can’t help rearrange your travel or offer a refund, you may be able to file a ‘chargeback claim’ with your bank if you paid using a credit card.

"If you’ve tried both of these options without any luck, then you may be able to claim on your travel insurance. Cover often differs between outgoing and return flights, so make sure to check your policy documents." She went on: "If, for some reason, the airline can’t provide these services due to staff shortages, don’t worry — you should be able to claim for reasonable expenses. Just check your airline’s policy to understand what they define as reasonable.

"You may also be able to make a compensation claim through your travel insurance. Check out the ‘Travel Delay’ section in your policy wording to understand what’s covered. And remember, if your return journey to the UK is delayed as well, your policy will automatically extend to cover the extra time you need to get home. So rest assured, you’re covered."

Kelly said: "You should be covered by your travel insurance if strikes affect your travel plans, as long as the strike wasn’t common knowledge when you booked your trip or took out your policy (whichever was later). Read your policy documents for what’s covered, and what’s not."