UK's most dangerous plant can be fatal if eaten and cause severe skin irritation

Beautiful pink oleander flowers are blooming on the tree. Flower pattern.
-Credit: (Image: SCU)


UK garden lovers are being warned about a stunning yet deadly plant that poses a serious risk to both humans and animals. Fiona Jenkins from MyJobQuote.co.uk has identified the oleander as Britain's most hazardous plant, with its beautiful pink flowers belying its lethal nature.

"The oleander plant is the UK's most dangerous plant due to it being very toxic for both humans and animals," she said. "This plant is very poisonous, and if you ingest even a very small amount of this plant, it can result in death. Physical contact with the plant can cause allergic reactions and severe skin irritations. It's important to keep oleanders away from children and pets."

Gardeners with children or pets should think twice before planting oleanders. They are easily recognised by their vibrant funnel-shaped blooms available in pink, white, red, coral, or yellow, as noted by the Mirror.

READ MORE: Test your UK knowledge in citizenship test that many struggle with

READ MORE: The SATS questions for 10-year-olds that you might not be able to get right

Another plant that adds beauty but brings danger is the foxglove, commonly found in British woodlands and home gardens. Fiona warns that foxgloves contain cardiac glycosides, which are highly toxic and can lead to "serious poisoning", according to Nottinghamshire Live.

She also gave an alert about the deadly nightshade, a plant known for its purple and green blooms and smooth oval leaves. She broke it down: "It features several green berries that then ripen to a black colour. Every part of this plant is toxic, and the berries are particularly poisonous," reports Wales Online.

Consumption of these berries can trigger a slew of hazardous side effects. Fiona also pointed out how perilous lilies could be to pets, stressing that each part of the lily plant is poisonous and should be bypassed without exception.

Her warning was stark: "Unfortunately, this can be fatal. It's important to keep your pets away from lily plants." Fiona went on to say: "Lily pollen can easily fall onto your pet's fur, which they may then ingest when they groom themselves."

Get daily headlines and breaking news emailed to you - it’s FREE