Union County couple left homeless in two-alarm fire in West Buffalo Township

Feb. 12—WEST BUFFALO TOWNSHIP — A two-alarm fire early Monday morning killed one pet and left a West Buffalo Township couple homeless, according to officials from Mifflinburg Hose Company.

Fire Chief Steve Walter said crews were dispatched shortly after 2 a.m. Monday to the 100 block of Stone Haven Road for a report of a working house fire. The Central Susquehanna Regional 911 immediately called for a second alarm.

"When we got dispatched, the communications center has the flexibility to dispatch a second alarm where they think it's warranted," said Walter. "They did that in this case. They got information from the homeowners that they got out and the whole house was on fire. We needed more water and they dispatched second alarm tankers."

Despite the second alarm, the mobile home/camper-style home with additions was fully engulfed by the time firefighters from two counties arrived, the chief said.

"When we pulled in, part of the roof was starting to collapse," said Walter. "There was no place to go in. We did a defensive attack (called a surround and drown)."

The home was destroyed. The occupants, Christopher and Angela Listman, are working with the American Red Cross for assistance, Walter said.

There were also several dogs in the home. One of those dogs perished in the fire, the chief said.

There were no other injuries or casualties, he said.

Crews remained on scene for approximately two hours before returning available, Walter said.

In addition to Mifflinburg, the following fire companies in Union and Snyder counties also responded: Union County West End Fire Company in Millmont, White Deer Township Fire Department in New Columbia, William Cameron Engine Company in Lewisburg, New Berlin Fire Company, Penns Creek Volunteer Fire Company, and Reliance Hose Company No. 1 in Middleburg.

Walter stressed that residents in rural areas should make sure to have their addresses on signs. This particular address had multiple lanes, one with a gate, leading back to it, he said.

The address confusion did not contribute to the home being destroyed, said Walter.