Lt Gen H. R. McMaster said on Sunday that North Korea's missile test was provocative and that the US would be working with all its allies to come up with a solution to the threat.
The White House adviser said: "This latest missile test just fits into a pattern of provocative and destabilizing and threatening behaviour on the part of the North Korean regime.
"There is an international consensus now, including the Chinese leadership, that this is a situation that just cannot continue.
"And the president has made clear that he will not accept the United States and its allies and partners in the region being under threat from this hostile regime with nuclear weapons.
"And so we are working together with our allies and partners, and with the Chinese leadership, to develop a range of options."
His comments came after North Korea failed in its attempts to launch a missile test which, according to the US, exploded immediately after take-off.
Tensions have been rising between North Korea and the US, with the former claiming it is ready for “all-out war”.
There had been speculation as to what stance China – North Korea’s closest ally – would take in response to the missile drill.
China has sought to cool tensions over Pyongyang's nuclear weapons and missile programs, repeatedly calling for dialogue.
I strongly condemn the latest North Korean missile launch. They must stop these belligerent acts and comply with @UN resolutions.— Boris Johnson (@BorisJohnson) April 16, 2017
Over the weekend Chinese news agencies reported that China's top diplomat, Yang Jiechi, and U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson discussed the situation in a phone call Sunday.
And President Trump had earlier said China was "working with us" on the issue.
Why would I call China a currency manipulator when they are working with us on the North Korean problem? We will see what happens!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 16, 2017
Our military is building and is rapidly becoming stronger than ever before. Frankly, we have no choice!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 16, 2017
Meanwhile Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson warned North Korea to comply with the United Nations following the failed launch.
He said: "They must stop these belligerent acts and comply with UN resolutions."