Video shows moment A34 death crash fugitives arrested after stepping off flight at Manchester Airport

Two men who fled the country whilst on trial for killing a man after racing on the A34 have been arrested after landing at Manchester Airport.

Cheshire Police have released footage showing Osama Saeed, and Asgar Taj being detained at the arrival gate after stepping off a flight from Abu Dhabi earlier this morning (Monday, July 8).

The pair left the UK in October last year whilst their trial at Manchester's Minshull Street Crown Court, where they were accused of causing the death of 34-year-old Asad Rashid by dangerous driving, was part-way through.

READ MORE: Large police presence as caravan park shut down with families told to leave

They subsequently dialled into the court from abroad to plead guilty to the charge. However, they failed to attend their sentencing hearing last December so both Saeed, then 32 and of St Paul's Road, Manningham, Bradford, and Taj, then 35 and of Heather Grove, Bradford, were sentenced to 12 years in prison.

A third defendant, Mohammad Zubair Chaudhry, 31 of Kingsway, Cheadle, who also pleaded guilty to the offence, was sentenced to 10 years and seven months. He remains outstanding and enquiries to locate him are ongoing.

The trio travelled to Cheshire to race on Tuesday, September 15, 2020, with Mr Rashid part of the group. Chaudry was driving an Audi R8 and Saeed was in an Audi R3, while Taj and Rashid were riding Suzuki motorbikes.

The group travelled to Cheshire from Manchester along the A34, as they passed under the A555 bridge all four drivers lined up at the traffic lights ready to race, Cheshire Police said.

All four vehicles then hit a roundabout on the A34 Handforth Bypass near Wilmslow. Taj and Mr Rashid were both unseated from their bikes. Mr Rashid was also struck by the RS3 as it hit the central reservation and he died at the scene from his injuries.

Taj sustained a number of serious injuries including a included a fracture to his right arm and fractures to his left foot from which he has since recovered. Both Taj and Saeed were due to appear back before Minshull Street Crown Court today.

Speaking after today's arrest, Inspector Steve Griffiths, from Cheshire Police's Serious and Complex Collision Investigation Unit at Cheshire police, said: "As this result demonstrates, we will not give up, if you commit a crime in Cheshire, you will be arrested and you will be held accountable.

“On their arrival at Manchester Airport this morning, Saeed and Taj were both greeted by a team of officers from the Cheshire Police Serious and Complex Collision Investigation Unit, along with support from the Roads and Crime Unit and GMP. Both men were promptly detained at the arrival gate and will be put in front of the courts later today.”