Violence flared in North Lincolnshire pub as man 'used as a punch bag'

A general view of Grimsby Crown and County Court.
-Credit: (Image: Grimsby Live)

A man who caused the deaths of two people by dangerous driving 11 years ago was back in court for fighting in a North Lincolnshire bar.

At Grimsby Crown Court, self-employed builder, William Wilson, 44, of Westrum Lane, Brigg, admitted affray in The Woolpack Inn, Brigg. CCTV of the violence, which left the victim with cuts to his face and a broken nose, was shown in court.

Violence erupted after a verbal dispute between Wilson and another man at around 11.40pm on September 14 last year. Prosecuting, Marte Alnaes told how the verbal disagreement flared into violence.


An initial punch was quickly followed by a volley of punches, with Wilson using both his fists. The fight spread from the bar into a nearby room with gaming machines. The victim was thrown to the floor but got back up, only to be punched to the floor again. The fight lasted a few minutes.

Miss Alnaes said: "The defendant continues to attack him throughout." There were further blows when the two men returned to the bar. The prosecutor said CCTV cameras captured Wilson kicking the victim on the ground. His face was covered in blood and he put his arms and hands to protect his face, but the attacker continued to rain blows at him. At hospital, doctors diagnosed a broken nose, cuts to the face and a loose tooth.

Miss Alnaes said Wilson had six convictions on his record for 10 offences, including causing the deaths of two people by dangerous driving in June 2013. He served an eight-year sentence for the offences, which included drink-driving at the time of the fatal crash on the A14 in Northamptonshire.

Stephen Donnelly, 26, and Mandy Gold, 21, from South Yorkshire, died in the crash near Kelmarsh in June 2013. Northampton Crown Court heard Wilson was driving a Mercedes that was in collision with Mr Donnelly's Ford Ka.

For Wilson, Richard Pratt KC told how the prosecution of his client was not supported by the victim. He said the violence flared after his client received serious threats. He said he understood they were imminent and he was in danger of being attacked. "He recognises what he did was disproportionate," said Mr Pratt.

He added the injuries suffered had no significant, lasting effect. Judge Graham Robinson said the victim was "clearly overwhelmed" by the "sustained, persistent and fierce violence".

He said: "Had this been in a boxing ring the referee would have stepped in straight away to stop the fight. You did not stop." The judge said Wilson had used his victim as "a punch bag, raining punches on him".

He imposed a 22-month prison sentence, suspended for two years. He was also ordered to do 20 Rehabilitation Activity days and 200 hours of unpaid work. He was also ordered to pay court costs of £1,500.