The violent and cruel men every woman in Greater Manchester should know the faces of

-Credit: (Image: GMP/Cavendish Press/Lancashire Constabulary)
-Credit: (Image: GMP/Cavendish Press/Lancashire Constabulary)

These are some of the men whose appalling crimes against women have landed them in the dock. Abuse against women and within a domestic context is unfortunately a common feature of caseloads in our region's magistrates and crown courts.

From physical injury to psychological pain, the impact of this offending can remain with the victim for life. And Greater Manchester, like much of the country, sees far too many of these cases.

From the murderer who stalked his ex before killing her, to a controlling husband who created a 'list of shame', here are ten men who every woman in Greater Manchester should know about.

READ MORE: Chaos erupts in pub as traveller families clash in 'horror' scenes

Man left girlfriend in ‘fear of her life’ during horror attack

McMahon was sentenced at Manchester Crown Court -Credit:MEN Media
McMahon was sentenced at Manchester Crown Court -Credit:MEN Media

A man left his girlfriend in ‘fear of her life’ after repeatedly punching her during a horror attack. Stephan McMahon subjected his girlfriend to a terrifying attack on December 17 last year. Manchester Crown Court heard the 25-year-old began to punch his partner as she sat on the sofa.

The woman ran to the bathroom with her hands covering her head but he followed her and continued to punch her until she fell to the floor crying, prosecutor Maxwell Cope said, during the hearing in March. During the attack the woman managed to message her mum and asked her to call the police.

When officers arrived she told them in ‘hushed tones’ that she thought she was going to die, had been assaulted by McMahon before and that they had to take her out of the address. She suffered bruises to her face and arms during the attack.

The court heard McMahon has eight previous convictions for 13 offences including assault occasioning actual bodily harm against a previous partner in April 2019 for which he was given a community order.

Representing McMahon, David Morton said his client does not want to repeat the mistakes of his past and recent past and said the complainant was supporting him in court and hoped to have a future with him.

McMahon was given an 18 month sentence, suspended for two years for assault causing actual bodily harm. He was also ordered to complete 30 sessions through the Building Better Relationships programme, 15 rehabilitation activity requirement days and 90 hours of unpaid work. McMahon of Windrush Drive, Manchester pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Vile man mocked his girlfriend after battering her in the street

A thug bragged 'I have power punch' after attacking his helpless girlfriend in the street. Andrew Murphy threw the woman to the floor in a fit of rage causing her head to bounce up from the ground, a court heard. The 48-year-old then pulled her hair before kicking her in the back of her head.

He mocked her again and said 'aw, look at your face' as her cheek and eye swelled up following his vicious blows. The attack was caught on CCTV, which the court heard Murphy, from Stockport, had to 'pull away his eyes' when forced to watch.

A judge told him he could have killed his girlfriend who 'held her hands up' and tried to walk away before the horrific attack. After he was arrested, police discovered he had previously strangled his victim during another violent argument until she passed out.

She came round to find her ears were bleeding following that attack. Minshull Street Crown Court heard how the pair had started dating in 2019, but their relationship deteriorated the following year due to Murphy's mood swings whilst drunk.

Murphy, of Marple Court, Ward Street, Stockport, admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm, intentional strangulation and criminal damage to the victim's mobile phone. At a hearing in December last year, he was jailed for 21 months.

Police officer tried to murder his girlfriend in hotel room

A cowardly police officer flew into a jealous rage and tried to kill his girlfriend in a Manchester hotel room as she shared texts with her new lover. Lancashire Police officer James Riley, 28, strangled Ellie Moxham for about two minutes, before leaving her for dead in a city centre Premier Inn.

The couple had been together for a few years and bought a house in 2021 but their relationship was marred by Riley’s ‘anger, aggression and jealousy’, Manchester Crown Court heard. He had persuaded Ms Moxham, a PHD student, to attend a gig at the Apollo in Manchester and stay the night at the hotel, after drinks and food earlier in the day.

Riley hoped it would rekindle their relationship but Ms Moxham had no intention of reconciling with him. During the night, Ms Moxham had told her new man that she loved him and wanted to be with him.

As she shared texts with her new lover when she and Riley returned to their hotel room just after 11pm, on November 10, 2022, Riley launched a brutal attack. “You became consumed by uncontrollable anger and a jealous rage, and you attacked her with murderous intent,” Judge Patrick Field KC told him.

After strangling her for about two minutes, Riley put a plastic bag over her head because he ‘could not stand to look at her’, the court heard. At 11.15pm, before calling 999, he rang his parents and told his father: “I’ve killed Ellie and I’m going to kill myself. I just wanted to say goodbye.”

His mother called the police after Riley said he’d ‘strangled’ Ms Moxham. Then only 12 minutes later he called for an ambulance, before fleeing and abandoning her.

Ms Moxham was unresponsive when paramedics arrived, and she was rushed to Manchester Royal Infirmary and placed in an induced coma. Riley later took a taxi and asked to be driven to Bradford. He was dropped off at a petrol station off the M606 motorway.

He arrived at his parents’ home at 3.45am, prosecutor Alex Leach KC told the court. His mother alerted the police that he was there, and his father locked the door.

But Riley locked himself in the bathroom and then climbed out of the window. Police caught him at 4.09am.

Ms Moxham regained consciousness the following day at 12.30pm. Riley, from Preston, pleaded guilty to attempted murder and in January was sentenced to 16 years in prison.

Thug forced victim to have bath as he burned her clothes after attack

A man who punched and hit a woman forced her to have a bath as he burned her clothes. Robert Coupe, 26, from Stockport, has now been jailed after harassing his victim in her own home over a period of months before the 'vile' attack, which left her seriously injured and fearing for her life.

Coupe would 'persistently call the victim up to 30 times a day and would also contact her friends and family if she did not answer', Greater Manchester Police said. The woman resorted to not returning home if she could see he was waiting for her on security cameras.

Coupe responded by unplugging them, the force said. On August 12, he 'harassed the victim in the street' and, later that evening, attacked her. He punched and hit her, causing her serious injuries.

He then forced the victim into her bath and burned her clothes in the garden. Coupe, GMP said, 'attempted to clean the address in an attempt to hide the evidence of his attack'.

The woman managed to escape and was taken to hospital by a friend. She told police what had happened, before Coupe was arrested. He later pleaded guilty to assault causing grievous bodily harm and criminal damage.

Coupe, of south Reddish, was jailed for a year and 10 months at Minshull Street Crown Court in November last year.

Following the case, PC Elizabeth Andrews, from GMP's Domestic Abuse Team said: "Firstly, I want to thank the victim for the courage she has shown in coming forward and supporting a prosecution which has resulted in a substantial sentence being handed down to the offender. Her bravery and strength is nothing short of inspiring.

"I welcome the sentence today which reflects the severity of the violent and psychological abuse that Coupe inflicted on the victim. His behaviour was abhorrent and this was an absolutely vile attack."

Controlling husband stored wife as 'pure evil' in phone contacts and threw cat at her

Andrew Murphy was jailed for 21 months -Credit:Cavendish Press (Manchester) Ltd
Andrew Murphy was jailed for 21 months -Credit:Cavendish Press (Manchester) Ltd

A controlling husband stored his wife as ‘pure evil’ in his phone contacts and created a ‘list of shame’ detailing money which he claimed to be owed. Daniel Werwinski, 45, narrowly avoided a prison sentence following his years of abuse towards his former wife.

The couple, who lived in Gorton, had known each other since primary school but their relationship later soured. Werwinski’s ex said she became the 'object of constant psychological, emotional and physical abuse'.

She said that when Werwinski would buy essentials such as food, clothes or cleaning products, he would make a note of how much he had spent on a document he called ‘the list of shame’, before asking her for the money back. On one occasion he threw a cat at her, Manchester Crown Court heard.

"I loved the defendant but instead of him loving me, he found enormous pleasure in abusing me on a daily basis,” she said in a statement read on her behalf. "I was told daily that I am worthless, that I am nobody, that I am a wh*re.” Werwinski was found guilty of engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour and two counts of common assault.

Earlier this week, Werwinski, of Fylde Lane, Gorton, was sentenced to 20 months in prison, suspended for two years, and ordered to complete 30 rehabilitation activity requirement days and 50 hours of unpaid park. He must also pay £4,380 in prosecution costs. A restraining order prohibiting him from contacting his ex-wife was imposed for 10 years.

Murderer who killed 'real angel' ex-partner in horror stabbing

James Riley
James Riley

Two children lay by their dying mother, one comforting her and the other praying for her life, after she was brutally stabbed by her jealous ex-partner who had stalked her for months. Perseverance Ncube, 35, and her two children ran away in terror after Obert Moyo broke into their home in Salford and began strangling her.

The children, aged 10 and 12, were woken up in the middle of the night by their mother's screams as Moyo launched the horror attack. They bravely tried to fight him off, allowing their mother time to try and escape.

But as mum - known as 'Percy' to friends - and the children ran from the house on Dukesgate Grove in Little Hulton in the early hours of November 10 last year, Moyo soon caught up and stabbed her in the heart with a skewer with 'severe' force.

One of Ms Ncube's children laid by her in the street after she was stabbed, while the other child 'prayed for her mother's life'.

Manchester Crown Court heard the pair had been in a relationship for about 18 months, but that Ms Ncube had broken up with him after she learned that he'd been seeing other women. Despite Ms Ncube telling him 'in no uncertain terms' that their relationship was over after she met a new partner, Moyo began turning up outside her home and 'stalking' her.

At the time of the murder, Moyo was on licence having been released from prison for a brutal attack on another ex partner. He had been jailed for 14 years after cutting the woman with a knife and strangling her. In April, Moyo, 46, was jailed for life - with a minimum term of 27 years - after pleading guilty to murdering Ms Ncube.

Personal trainer repeatedly struck seriously ill girlfriend with steel baton

A personal trainer repeatedly struck his seriously ill girlfriend with a steel baton through the night after she couldn't unlock her mobile for him.

Anthony Frost, who works as a cleaning supervisor but does charity work as a personal trainer, woke up his victim in bed by throwing water over her and holding a lighter in front of her face, before overturning her mattress, a court heard. The 54-year-old insisted she put the password in her phone so he could access her online banking account.

But the victim was 'incredibly sleepy' due to medication she was taking for fibromyalgia - a condition that causes widespread pain and extreme tiredness. She couldn't remember the password or make the fingerprint work.

In anger, Frost, from Northwich in Cheshire, then repeatedly hit her with an extendable steel baton, Warrington Magistrates' Court was told. As his pained victim tried to sleep after the first blows, he continued to hit her with the weapon leaving her 'black and blue' with bruises.

Frost, who is a now in new relationship with a different woman, said he accepted the attack was 'the worst thing he ever done'. His lawyer said he had had a 'heavy week' and that there was a 'cocktail of pressures'.

Frost pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm. He was sentenced to 24 weeks in prison, which was suspended for 18 months.

He was ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work, 15 days of rehabilitative activity and a 30-day 'building better relationships' programme. He was also ordered to pay £500 in compensation to the victim and was handed a two-year restraining order preventing him from contacting her.

Serial domestic abuser accused of 'waterboarding' his girlfriend

A serial domestic abuser was hauled before the courts again after being accused of 'waterboarding' his girlfriend. Christopher Kirby was accused of 'waterboarding' the woman under a running bath tap during a vicious attack at her home.

His victim was knocked unconscious and left at the foot of her stairs with a fractured left eye socket after she had earlier inadvertently locked Kirby out of her property following a night out.

Police who investigated the assault discovered former personal trainer Kirby, 32, had an extensive record of domestic violence against various women dating back to 2009.

Most recently he was locked up 18 months in 2021 when he assaulted the same woman and wrecked her flat during a rampage after she gave him a place to stay upon release from prison.

In November last year at Minshull Street Crown Court, Kirby, of no fixed abode but formerly of Hall i' th' Wood, Bolton admitted causing the woman grievous bodily harm (GBH) and criminal damage to her property.

He was sentenced to 27 months in prison. Sentencing, the judge, Mr Recorder Geoff Lowe, told Kirby: ''There have been almost annual appearances before the court over last few years. But you have taken steps to address your underlying issues and made efforts to improve yourself and that is a significant feature of this case.

''You say you're genuine about wanting a change in direction, I hope you are right. But it's very much in your hands. It's up to you to sort this out yourself.''

Man jailed after subjecting woman to 'horrendous physical and emotional abuse'

Robert Coupe
Robert Coupe

A man who subjected a woman to 'horrendous physical and emotional abuse' was jailed. Kashif Iftikhar subjected the victim to the abuse over a two-year long relationship. The victim suffered in silence before making a report to police.

The 23-year-old was arrested on February 5 this year following a number of domestic abuse reports from the victim. An investigation was launched where it was discovered that Iftikhar had subjected the woman to physical and emotional abuse over the course of the relationship.

Iftikhar was charged and pleaded guilty to three counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm. In July last year, he was sentenced to two years and five months in jail at Minshull Street Crown Court. The police said the abuse the victim suffered was 'horrendous'.

After the hearing, Detective Constable Julie Bonney-Thorpe, of Trafford CID, said: "I want to commend the bravery of the victim in coming forward and reporting what happened to her. Iftikhar's actions are utterly deplorable and he has shown himself to be consistently violent and abusive towards the victim, and showing a disturbing increase in the level of violence he inflicted upon her."

The man so 'out of control' his terrified partner feared he would kill her

Daniel Werwinski -Credit:Facebook
Daniel Werwinski -Credit:Facebook

A violent dad has been jailed after name-calling, punching, strangling, and threatening with a knife the mother of his three children during their 'abusive' relationship.

At one point Paul Little, 42, was so 'out of control' his terrified partner feared he would kill her a court heard. In June last year he was jailed for two-and-a-half years, after a judge said he had 'degraded' and caused 'maximum stress' to his former partner.

Little began a relationship with the woman in January 2012 and they began living together in September of that year Manchester's Minshull Street Crown Court was told.

Prosecutors described the relationship as being 'volatile' from early on and said although he 'could be loving' he once strangled her and threatened her with a hammer.

Though this fell outside the period of time Little was charged in relation to, Mr Berlyne said it provided important 'background' as to what was to come.

The judge, Recorder Edmund Fowler, said: "The victim documents in her victim personal statement how it took so long for her to speak to the police. She feared you would kill her so out of control were you.

"She was scared of the consequences of going to the police. She was scared about the consequences of your relationship and she's scared about the consequences of moving on in her life and to a new partner."

Little, of Borley Walk, Wythenshawe, pleaded guilty to controlling or coercive behaviour in an intimate or family relationship and strangulation.