Last year, Claudia Winkleman was forced to take time off hosting Strictly Come Dancing after her eight-year-old daughter, Matilda, was left with serious third degree burns following a tragic Halloween accident.
Claudia’s little girl was trick-or-treating when the flowing material of her witch’s costume brushed passed the candle in a pumpkin and immediately caught alight.
Back in May, Claudia bravely opened up about her daughter’s ordeal for the first time in a harrowing interview with BBC Watchdog, admitting that she was speaking out in order to raise awareness among parents of the highly flammable Halloween costumes that are on sale.
As the holiday approaches, the video has started to once again do the rounds on social media as viewers thank Claudia for bringing the problematic nature of Halloween costumes to their attention.
Recounting the horrifying moment that Matilda caught fire, Claudia fights back tears as she explains: “We couldn’t put her out. Her tights had melted into her skin. She went up, is the only way I know how to describe it. It was not like fire I had seen before.
"Like if your shirt caught fire or anything I could put it out. It was the tights that… They came back to life. It was like those horrific birthday candles that you blow out and then they come back.”
Claudia added that Matilda had endured many operations following the accident as she had suffered a “large amount of third degree burns”, however, she poignantly dubs her daughter’s ordeal as: “Life-changing, not life-defining” although she admits that it has made her an “anxious” parent.
When asked what she would do differently given the chance, Claudia added: “I wish that I had made her dress in… Pyjamas, cotton, something like that.
"I wish that I had been dressed as the witch, that it happened to me.”
And despite the entire interview obviously taking an emotional toll on Claudia, the TV presenter shared the reason why she went through with it, explaining: “I don’t want another eight year old to go through what Tilda went through.
"If next Halloween I stop a few people, [if they say] ‘let’s not put them in that near a naked flame’, that would be amazing. That is why I am here.”