Weekend of infernos in Blackpool as multiple fires reported over two days

The fire at a commercial property on Warbreck Road
-Credit: (Image: BPL Bible/Will Ritchie)

In Blackpool, firefighters and emergency services have been working throughout the weekend to battle a number of blazes in the town.

On Friday night (June 7) at around 11.30pm, Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service along with other responders rushed to the scene on Warbreck Hill Road. At the height of this fire at a commercial building, ten fire engines and numerous specialist appliances were in use.

As a result of the inferno, the road was closed in both directions and emergency services were at the scene for a number of hours. Then, on Sunday afternoon (June 9) at around 1pm, it was reported Warbreck Hill Road had been closed again amid reports of a fire.


Blackpool Police stated officers were in attendance, along with colleagues from the fire service. Members of the public were asked to avoid the area and keep their doors and windows shut.

In a statement last night, Blackpool Council said: "Warbreck Hill Road is currently closed between Bispham Road and Warley Road and there is a Northbound diversion in place at the junction from Plymouth Road. It is expected these arrangement will be in place overnight and also during rush hour tomorrow.

"Delays are expected, please plan ahead and avoid the area if possible. Thankyou for your cooperation."

While responders fought to tackle the blazes on Warbreck Hill Road, another fire was reported elsewhere in Blackpool. At 2.05am on Sunday, two fire engines from South Shore and Bispham attended a fire at a commercial building on Blackpool Promenade.

One triple extension ladder and two thermal imaging cameras were used to locate the source of the smoke. Crews were detained for around ninety minutes.

Then, at 3.31am on Sunday fire engines from Fleetwood and St Annes were in attendance to a fire on Egerton Road. Two firefighters in breathing apparatus used one hose reel to extinguish the fire and all fire service personnel were in attendance for around ninety minutes.