West End pedicabs: Four ‘unsafe’ operators handed fines after latest round of prosecutions

·1-min read
Four drivers have been handed fines following the investigation (Westminster Council)
Four drivers have been handed fines following the investigation (Westminster Council)

Four West End pedicab operators have been handed fines following an investigation led by Westminster Council.

Following the latest round of prosecutions, the four pedicab operators were fined a total of over £4,230 on September 21 at the City of London Magistrates Court.

Two of the drivers were handed larger fines after they were found guilty of the same offence last year.

All four were prosecuted under the Control of Pollution Act in what the council hopes will be a “warning” that nuisance pedicab drivers will not be tolerated in central London.

Councillor Aicha Less, deputy leader, cabinet Leader for Communities and Public Protection said:

“This latest round of prosecutions will serve as a warning to pedicab drivers that we will not tolerate anti-social behaviour in Westminster. Residents and visitors have had enough of pedicab drivers playing loud music and blocking pavements, and the council will prosecute when necessary.

Pedicabs are unlicensed, unsafe, and have been known to charge extortionate fares. We encourage residents and visitors to the West End to use licensed forms of transport – buses, taxis, and London Underground – for their own safety.”

In June, five pedicab operators have been issued with record fines following an investigation by Westminster Council.

In conjunction with the Met Police, the operators were charged a total of £5,682 as the council ramps up pressure on the drivers who mass in London’s West End.

Despite the investigation, earlier this year, a London said he was force to pay £500 by a pedicab operator who distracted him as he went to pay for a ten minute trip on the rider’s card machine.