Police carry out two controlled explosions after reports of ‘suspicious vehicle’ near Westminster Abbey

·1-min read
Police dealt with ‘suspicious vehicle’ in vicinity of Westminster Abbey (Google Maps)
Police dealt with ‘suspicious vehicle’ in vicinity of Westminster Abbey (Google Maps)

Two controlled explosions have been carried out in Westminster as police responded to reports of a “suspicious vehicle” near to Westminster Abbey on Monday.

Police swooped to the scene after officers were alerted to the incident at 2.05pm, near to Westminster Abbey.

Transport for London said Westminster and St James’s Park tube stations were closed at the time of the incident.

A cordon was put in place around the scene and roads were closed off while police investigated.

The incident was stood down at 5pm after two controlled explosions were carried out by police.

Police officers remain at the scene but roads have since reopened.

There have been no arrests relating to the incident.

Police enquiries remain ongoing.

The QEII Centre, close to the Abbey, was also temporarily evacuated as police dealt with the incident.

Chief executive Mark Taylor told the Standard: “We can confirm the QEII Centre was temporarily evacuated earlier this afternoon under the instruction of the Metropolitan Police due to a suspicious vehicle parked outside of Westminster Abbey.

“Occupants were moved to a place of safety while the police carried out checks.

“The QEII Centre has now re-opened and this evening’s events are proceeding as planned.”

Westminster police first tweeted about the incident: “Police are at currently in the vicinity of #Westminster Abbey dealing with an ongoing incident involving what is believed to be a suspicious vehicle.

“A number of road closures are in place while emergency services deal with the incident.”

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting