Who Was Cathriona White? 8 Things to Know About Jim Carrey's Late Girlfriend
Jim Carrey equated the apparent suicide of his on-again, off-again girlfriend, Cathriona White, to being “hit with a lightening bolt,” he said in a statement on Tuesday. The actor, 53, called her a “delicate Irish flower, too sensitive for this soil.”
Carrey and the makeup artist, 30, embarked on an on-again, off-again relationship in 2013. They reunited this past spring — sharing hints of their relationship on social media — but, according to TMZ, they parted ways again earlier this month. White was pronounced dead on Monday night and there were indications, including a bottle of pills and a note, that it was a suicide. However, toxicology results are pending.
There is much more to know about White, however, than the way she passed away. Here are eight things — from how they met to her hobbies — about Carrey’s late love…
1. Cathriona and Jim had reportedly been seeing each other on and off for three years. After meeting on a movie set in 2012, they started dating a year later, but split by the end of the year. In late winter/early spring of this year, it became apparent from her Instagram that they had rekindled their romance. She posted photos from his posh home, his private plane, and, without naming him, commented about visiting him on the set. (“He’s filming out there so I went for the first couple of days then had to get back to work,” she wrote to a friend.)
They traveled to his native Canada and to New York City. There were no photos of them posing together in her feed, but there were a couple shots of their shoes.
As for Carrey, his last two Twitter photos, posted Sept. 1 and Sept. 16 were snapped by White, but they reportedly split in recent weeks.
2. She’s from Ireland. “Little Irish Cat” is her Instagram handle and a nod to her roots. While she lived in Sherman Oaks, California, at the time of her death, she hailed from County Tipperary in the Emerald Isle. She traveled home to Ireland just over a year ago for her sister’s wedding and enjoyed reuniting with her large family. Once she returned to California, she posted many photos of her family from afar.
3. She’s a lover of all things Irish. She loved tea, shamrocks, and poets James Joyce and William Butler Yeats. Cat posted the same sad Yeats quote twice, including once just days before she died: “Faeries, come take me out of this dull world, For I would ride with you upon the wind, Run on the top of the dishevelled tide, And dance upon the mountains like a flame. - William Butler Yeats,” it said. Now, it leaves chills.
4. Jim Carrey isn’t the only celebrity she rubbed elbows with. The makeup artist recently worked with David Hasselhoff, whom she called a “beautiful, positive soul,” Sleepy Hollow’s Lyndie Greenwood, and models including Arianny Celeste. And she didn’t only paint faces — she also painted canvases.
5. She recently celebrated her birthday. Cat’s birthday was two weeks ago and she celebrated, a bit late, with some friends at Nobu in Malibu.
6. She had a dog named Bella. The yellow lab was her beloved companion.
7. She loved working out — her body and mind. Carrey’s love wasn’t above a post-yoga mirror selfie and enjoyed hiking and biking. She also studied Transcendental Meditation.
8. She hinted that she was ready to go. Just days before she died, she posed this tweet saying that she was signing off from Twitter:
Now we know that, sadly, she was signing off for good.