The widow of a former electrician is appealing for help to establish how he contracted the asbestos-related cancer which claimed his life.
Alan Noble, from Witney, died one month after being diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lung commonly associated with exposure to asbestos, often decades previously.
Following the 81-year-old’s death, his widow, Susan Noble, 75, is appealing for anyone who worked with Alan to come forward and provide information on whether he may have been exposed to asbestos during his working life.
Mrs Noble and her legal team are particularly keen to hear from anyone who worked at Key Electrical Installations Limited between 1953 and 1969 or at Lomax & Staines (Witney) Limited in Witney between 1969 and 2004, when Alan worked at locations across Oxfordshire.
Lawyer Hayley Hill, the asbestos-related disease specialist at Irwin Mitchell, said: “Alan worked on the installation of heaters and electrical items in various buildings, including schools and universities. While asbestos is associated with heavy industry, it was also used widely in public buildings, such as schools, hospitals and universities.
“In Alan’s case, we now require more information to progress the investigation further and we are determined to support Susan as she seeks the answers to Alan’s asbestos exposure in his memory.
"Susan would be so grateful if anyone with information that could help could come forward. Any detail, no matter how small could prove vital in ensuring Susan gets the answers she deserves as she comes to terms with the loss of her husband.”
The appeal comes after the Work and Pensions Committee published a report saying there should be a 40-year deadline for the removal of asbestos from public and commercial buildings.
Mr Noble was diagnosed with mesothelioma in February 2020 and sadly died on 4 March 2020.
He began showing symptoms of shortness of breath in August 2019 which continued to worsen and he started to display chest pain and a fever, leading to a hospital admission.
Outside work before developing symptoms, he enjoyed DIY and made little bird houses and gifted them to his family at Christmas.
Mrs Noble said: “Alan was my soulmate and best friend and losing him to mesothelioma was a terrible experience. Despite the time that has passed, I’m not sure I can ever fully get over losing Alan and just how much I still miss seeing him and hearing his voice at home.
“Alan was a kind and hardworking man and didn’t deserve to have his retirement cut short by this disease or to have to suffer at the end, through no fault of his own.
“Nothing can bring Alan back home to me but I can do this last service for him, by getting to the truth and allowing my wonderful husband to rest in peace.”
Anyone with information which could help Susan is asked to contact Hayley Hill at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office on 0121 2145273 or email hayley.hill@IrwinMitchell.com
A message from our Editor
Thank you for reading this story and supporting the Oxford Mail.
If you like what we do please consider getting a subscription for the Oxford Mail and in return we’ll give you unrestricted access with less adverts across our website from the latest news, investigations, features, and sport.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tik Tok for more.
You can also join the conversation in our Facebook groups: stay ahead of traffic alerts here, keep up to date with the latest from court here, share your favourite memories of Oxford here, get your daily dose of celebrity news here and take some time out with news that will make you smile.