Woman in shock after Primark bag went up in flames while sunbathing

·2-min read
Eva Bacchoo, from Sussex, was on holiday is Crete, when her bag set on fire
Eva Bacchoo, from Sussex, was on holiday is Crete, when her bag set on fire

A WOMAN was left in shock after her Primark bag went up in flames while on holiday.

Eva Bacchoo, from Sussex, was on holiday is Malia, Crete, when the bag set on fire with her AirPods inside while she was sunbathing.

In a video uploaded to TikTok, the 21-year-old said the fire may have started as a result of the metal button on the bag getting too hot.

“I felt shocked at first but, ultimately, I found it funny how it had set itself on fire,” the holidaymaker said.

"I panicked at first with the AirPods, but they were safe.”

The content creator, who posts travel-themed content on TikTok under the handle @evabacchoo, arrived in Crete on June 21.

She said she only realised the bag was on fire after she reached for a bottle of water inside.

In the video, after speculating what may have caused the fire, Eva realised that her AirPods were still in the bag, which had been doused with water.

“We’re in Malia in Crete for a week-long festival thing and on Friday we were sunbathing by the pool,” she said.

“I got the bag in Primark in April – I can’t remember exactly how much it cost, somewhere between £12 and £14.

The Argus: Eva Bacchoo, from Sussex, was on holiday is Crete, when her bag set on fire
The Argus: Eva Bacchoo, from Sussex, was on holiday is Crete, when her bag set on fire

Eva Bacchoo, from Sussex, was on holiday is Crete, when her bag set on fire

“I’d not long put a bottle of water in the bag and then didn’t put the bag in the shade – I turned around as I was thirsty and saw the bag was on fire.

“It was smouldering with a few little flames – I thought it was the metal initially but a lot of comments on the video say water bottles in the sun can reflect like a magnifying glass and cause a fire.

“It was obviously something to do with the sunlight on the metal button or the bottle – I don’t actually think it was because the button got too hot in the sun.”

A Primark spokeswoman said: “Every Primark product range is tested independently to ensure the relevant safety and quality standards are met.

"We were surprised to hear of this complaint, and we’ve had no other reported issues, but if the customer returns the bag to us then we will be happy to investigate this further to understand what might have happened.”

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting