Woman shot by police in Willesden terror raids is discharged from hospital and immediately arrested

Caroline Mortimer

The woman shot in a police raid in north west London on Thursday has been discharged from hospital and arrested on suspicion of terror offences.

The unnamed 21-year-old was injured during the raid in Willesden in which six others were arrested.

Scotland Yard said they were acting to prevent an "active terror plot" after a period of surveillance.

The force says the operation was unconnected to the attempted attack on the Houses of Parliament by Khalid Mohamed Omar Ali, who was tackled by police in Whitehall while carrying a backpack full of knives.

Officers did not arrest the woman at the time due to her condition, but she remained under armed guard in hospital.

One of those arrested was a 16-year-old boy. In addition to the London raid, a similar operation was carried out in Kent where a 43-year-old woman was arrested.

Witnesses described hearing screams and shouts coming from the house in London as armed police in gas masks burst in.

One eyewitness, Ruth Hale, told the London Evening Standard she had seen the woman lying on the ground in hijab shouting “don't touch me, don’t touch me” at medics and police as they tried to help her.

She said: “She had a wound on the left of her torso. There was a white bandage on it. They wanted to cut her clothes to treat it. She wouldn’t let them, she was angry. She was wearing a hijab – she was in black.

“A male in a grey jumper was also arrested, two policemen were frogmarching him. There was another woman there as well in a black dress and scarf. It was very shocking.”

The Met’s Deputy Assistance Commander Commissioner Neil Basu, who serves as Senior National Coordinator for counter terrorism policing, said at the time of the raid: “Due to the arrests made, I believe we have contained the threats that they posed.

“With the attack in Westminster on 22 March so fresh in people’s minds, I would like to reassure everyone that across the country officers are working around the clock to identify those people who intend to commit acts of terror.

“I would also like to thank the public for their continued help and support. We will continue to work with all communities to defeat terrorists together.”

The woman has been arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.

Police were granted warrants to hold the six previously arrested suspects for questioning until 2 and 4 May at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Saturday.