Woman sued after outing salon for eyebrow tattoo that left her 'scarred for life'

Kristine Tarbert
Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer

An Australian woman who shared her eyebrow tattoo horror story last year is being sued by the clinic she outed.

In July 2017, Amanda Coats, 43, took to Facebook claiming that an eyebrow feathering appointment at the Point Cook Skincare Laser Clinic in Melbourne left her “scarred for life” and with $1,600 in medical bills.

The cosmetic tattooist, Batulzii Cleveland, and the store have now filed a writ in the County Court seeking more than $150,000 in compensation from Coats.

The business claims that it has lost 11 clients as a result of Coats’s post — at a cost of $5,600 — and that the tattooist has been subject to ridicule.

Amanda Coats called out the clinic in July 2017. (Photo: Caters News)

Coats’s claims and startling photos went viral, but at the time the owner of the clinic, Iain Cleveland, said the woman was “delighted” after her appointment.

Cleveland said the clinic didn’t hear from Coats until two and a half weeks after the appointment, when she forwarded a photo of her infected eyebrow.

“There’s no way we could possibly be responsible for the infection at that stage, two and a half weeks after the procedure,” he told the Daily Mail.

Coats’s startling photos went viral at the time. (Photo: Caters News)

“My wife has done over 2,000 of these procedures, and we’ve never had any issues of infection,” he added. “We’ve been unable to defend ourselves and we are taking action against Ms. Coats for defamation and that’s in the process of being issued.”

Coats originally claimed that the 30-minute eyebrow tattoo procedure made her skin painfully red and swollen.

“The next day I woke up, and my skin had come off onto the pillow,” she said. “I went to the doctor immediately because of the pain and severe swelling.

“It felt like something was eating away at my skin; I was in so much pain,” she said.

Coats said she woke up with her skin peeling off. (Photo: Caters News)

Coats wanted to speak out so that no one else has to endure the same “pain and humiliation.” She also urged women to do as much research as possible before any procedure.

Cleveland issued a statement at the time saying the company abides by “strict industry best practice, standards, and regulations.

“At the beginning of the procedure, the client was shown the microblade and dressing pack contained in a sterilised environment,” he said.

“These packs were opened in front of the client using sterilized gloves that remained in the room the entire procedure,” he added. “The client left the procedure satisfied. Based off feedback from industry experts, SLC believes the adverse reaction was due to an allergy to one of the supplementary products used.”

Additional reporting by Caters News

Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle:

Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for nonstop inspiration delivered fresh to your feed, every day.