• Argentine prosecutor rejects case against president

    Associated Press - 13 hours ago

    BUENOS AIRES (AP) — An Argentine prosecutor on Monday dismissed accusations against President Cristina Fernandez that she helped shield Iranian officials allegedly behind the 1994 bombing of a Jewish center, effectively putting an end to a case that had exposed deep divisions in the South American nation. More »Argentine prosecutor rejects case against president

  • Bomb explodes at Spanish embassy in Libyan capital

    Reuters - 13 hours ago

    A bomb exploded in front of the Spanish embassy in the Libyan capital late on Monday, residents said, the latest in a string of attacks on foreign missions in the North African country. Spain's El Mundo newspaper said nobody had been hurt as Spain, like most Western and Arab countries, had pulled out its diplomats in summer during weeks of heavy fighting between rival armed groups in Tripoli. Militants loyal to Islamic State have claimed a string of killings of foreigners as well as attacks on embassies and oilfields in Libya. Libya's internationally recognized government has been based in the east since a rival faction called Libya Dawn seized Tripoli in August, setting up a rival administration. More »Bomb explodes at Spanish embassy in Libyan capital

  • At least five shot during Guinea opposition protests

    Reuters - 13 hours ago

    By Saliou Samb CONAKRY (Reuters) - At least five people were wounded by gunfire in Guinea's capital Conakry on Monday during violent opposition protests against the timing of elections, an opposition leader and a witness said. As early as 0300 GMT on Monday, some opposition supporters erected barricades and burned tyres on the streets of the seaside capital while youths fought street battles with the police and gendarmes. Guinea's electoral commission announced last month that a presidential election would be held on Oct. 11, a decision the opposition said broke a 2013 agreement to stage long-delayed local elections first. A Reuters witness met a young opposition supporter named Oumar Bah, who was being carried to hospital by friends after being struck in the buttock by a bullet. More »At least five shot during Guinea opposition protests

  • Italy arrests two survivors of migrant boat disaster

    Reuters - 13 hours ago

    Italian authorities arrested two survivors of Sunday's migrant boat disaster on suspicion of people trafficking, Infrastructure Minister Graziano Delrio said on Tuesday after the men arrived in the Sicilian port of Catania. Italian police interviewed 27 survivors of the wreck as they were brought to Italy on a coast guard vessel. Delrio said Catania state prosecutor Giovanni Salvi, who has opened a homicide investigation into the disaster, ordered the arrest of the two. More »Italy arrests two survivors of migrant boat disaster

  • Drug trial of 4 Frenchmen postponed in Dominican Republic

    Associated Press - 13 hours ago

    SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — A trial for four Frenchmen accused of trying to smuggle more than 1,500 pounds of cocaine on a jet has been postponed again in the Dominican Republic. More »Drug trial of 4 Frenchmen postponed in Dominican Republic

  • Argentine prosecutor dismisses case against president

    Reuters - 13 hours ago

    By Nicolás Misculin and Jorge Otaola BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - An Argentine prosecutor on Monday dismissed allegations that President Cristina Fernandez tried to derail an inquiry into the bombing of a Jewish center in 1994, likely marking the end of the case. Federal prosecutor Javier De Luca was assigned by Argentina's top appeals court after the case had already been rejected by a lower court in February, a decision upheld by a lower appeals court on account of "lack of evidence." "There has been no crime," De Luca told Reuters. In his official statement, he said his decision was "equivalent to a definitive sentence." The allegations against Fernandez were originally leveled by prosecutor Alberto Nisman, who was found dead in his flat with a bullet wound to the head on Jan. 18 the day before he was due to testify about them to parliament. Nisman had accused Fernandez of trying to cover up allegations made in Argentina courts that Iran was involved in the truck bombing of the AMIA Jewish Community center in Buenos Aires in order to clinch a grains-for-oil deal with Tehran. More »Argentine prosecutor dismisses case against president

  • Mexico says to investigate reports of police killings

    Reuters - 13 hours ago

    Mexico's government said on Monday it would investigate reports that federal police killed 16 unarmed people in two attacks in January, the latest allegations to raise the spectre of abuses by Mexican security forces. The weekend reports in three media outlets on the Jan. 6 killings in the troubled western state of Michoacan contrasted with an account by the federal government that several of the deaths could have been caused by stray bullets in a gunfight. Interior Minister Miguel Angel Osorio Chong said he had asked the attorney general's office and the internal affairs department of the federal police to probe the killings in the city of Apatzingan, a flashpoint for violence in the state. President Enrique Pena Nieto's image has been damaged by failings over security in recent months, including the alleged execution of suspected gang members by soldiers in June, and the apparent massacre of 43 students by drug cartel members in league with corrupt police in southwest Mexico in September. More »Mexico says to investigate reports of police killings

  • EU Commission sets out urgent steps to ease migrant crisis

    Reuters - 13 hours ago

    BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Commission presented ministers on Monday with a 10-point plan for immediate action to ease the migrant crisis in the Mediterranean, including strengthening search and rescue operations, German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said. The proposals, set out at a crisis meeting of EU foreign and interior ministers in Luxembourg, included a doubling of the financing and number of ships available to the EU's Triton border protection operation, he said. (Reporting by Tom Koerkemeier, Adrian Croft; editing by Robin Emmott) More »EU Commission sets out urgent steps to ease migrant crisis

  • Italy PM Renzi says military action in Libya not on the table

    Reuters - 13 hours ago

    Foreign military intervention in Libya is not on the table as part of a possible solution to the growing seaborne immigration crisis, Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said on Monday. Speaking in a joint press conference with Maltese premier Joseph Muscat in Rome, Renzi said that the only way to stop the flow of migrants across the Mediterranean to Europe was to block people traffickers that are organising the perilous trips. More »Italy PM Renzi says military action in Libya not on the table

  • PM Renzi says Italy, Malta rescuing two migrant boats in distress

    Reuters - 13 hours ago

    Italy and Malta are working to rescue two migrant boats in distress in the Mediterranean, Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said on Monday, after hundreds were feared dead in a shipwreck over the weekend. Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat said the death toll from the weekend's shipwreck would be 900 people if reports were confirmed. So far, 28 people have been rescued and 24 bodies recovered, and officials had said the total number of people on the boat was around 700. Renzi said the number of distress calls from migrant boats, often packed with people fleeing war and poverty in Africa and the Middle East in search of a better life in Europe, was rising. More »PM Renzi says Italy, Malta rescuing two migrant boats in distress

  • EU promises to act over migrant crisis after Mediterranean disaster

    Reuters - 13 hours ago

    By Robin Emmott and Adrian Croft LUXEMBOURG (Reuters) - EU foreign ministers promised on Monday to do more to stop migrant deaths in the Mediterranean by increasing rescues and catching traffickers, stung by a weekend tragedy that killed up to 700 people off the Libyan coast. Many European governments have long been reluctant to fund rescue operations in the Mediterranean for fear of encouraging more people to make the crossing in search of a better life in Europe, but they now face outrage over the refugee deaths. "What's at stake is the reputation of the European Union," Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni told reporters as he arrived for a meeting with EU peers in Luxembourg. "We can't have a European emergency and an Italian answer." The foreign ministers held a minute of silence at the start of their meeting and are being joined by interior ministers later for an emergency discussion of the migration crisis. More »EU promises to act over migrant crisis after Mediterranean disaster

  • 'Groundhog Day' musical to premiere at London's Old Vic

    Associated Press - 13 hours ago

    LONDON (AP) — A stage musical based on the time-looping movie "Groundhog Day" is to have its world-premiere production at London's Old Vic Theatre. Day after day after day. More »'Groundhog Day' musical to premiere at London's Old Vic

  • Palestinian ministers cut short Gaza visit over dispute with Hamas

    Reuters - 14 hours ago

    By Nidal al-Mughrabi GAZA (Reuters) - Palestinian cabinet ministers from the occupied West Bank cut short a visit to Gaza on Monday over disputes between the Western-backed Fatah movement and Islamist group Hamas which dominates the territory, officials said. The truncated visit reflected tensions threatening a year-old "unity" government, harming internationally-backed efforts to rebuild the Gaza Strip after a war with Israel and complicating Palestinian statehood ambitions. Palestinians in Gaza had hoped Fatah, headed by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, and Hamas could resolve a crisis over salaries owed to about 40,000 public servants hired by Hamas in the past eight years it has dominated the Gaza Strip. More »Palestinian ministers cut short Gaza visit over dispute with Hamas

  • Small plane crash in eastern Dominican Republic kills 7

    Associated Press - 14 hours ago

    SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — A small plane crashed shortly after takeoff Monday from a resort area on the eastern tip of the Dominican Republic, killing all seven people on board, officials said. More »Small plane crash in eastern Dominican Republic kills 7

  • Google Search Change Could Cause 'Mobilegeddon'

    Sky News - 14 hours ago

    Google is due to make a major update to its mobile search algorithm on Tuesday, in a move expected to cause ripples across the web. Websites not deemed mobile-friendly will be dropped down the search rankings, dramatically reducing the number of visitors to a site. Microsoft and the European Union are among the organisations likely to be negatively affected by the changes to Google's secret search formula. People can check whether their website is classed as mobile-friendly by Google by entering the web address here . More »Google Search Change Could Cause 'Mobilegeddon'

  • Verona beats Fiorentina 1-0 in Serie A with late strike

    Associated Press - 14 hours ago

    ROME (AP) — Mounir Obbadi scored in the 89th minute as Hellas Verona won 1-0 at Fiorentina on Monday in Serie A. More »Verona beats Fiorentina 1-0 in Serie A with late strike

  • Migrants' bodies brought ashore as EU proposes doubling rescue effort

    Reuters - 14 hours ago

    By James Mackenzie and Robin Emmott CATANIA, Italy/LUXEMBOURG (Reuters) - The European Union proposed doubling the size of its Mediterranean search and rescue operations on Monday, as the first bodies were brought ashore of as many as 900 people feared killed in the deadliest known shipwreck of migrants trying to reach Europe. Three other rescue operations were underway on Monday to save hundreds more migrants in peril on overloaded vessels making the journey from the north coast of Africa to Europe. The mass deaths have caused shock in Europe, where a decision to scale back naval operations last year seems to have increased the risks for migrants without reducing their numbers. "The situation in the Mediterranean is dramatic. More »Migrants' bodies brought ashore as EU proposes doubling rescue effort

  • U.S. begins training Ukrainian guardsmen despite Russia's concerns

    Reuters - 14 hours ago

    By David Alexander WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Army paratroopers began military training for small units of the Ukrainian national guard on Monday despite Russian warnings that the action could destabilize the country's tenuous cease-fire. Army Colonel Steve Warren, a Pentagon spokesman, said 300 members of the Army's 173rd Airborne Brigade based in Vicenza, Italy, began long-planned training for about 300 Ukrainians at the International Peacekeeping and Security Center at Yavoriv, in western Ukraine near the Polish border. He rejected Russia's suggestions the U.S. action was destabilizing. "I would say it's Russia that is destabilizing Ukraine," Warren said. More »U.S. begins training Ukrainian guardsmen despite Russia's concerns

  • Bombs shatter houses in Yemen capital, hit near Iran Embassy

    Associated Press - 14 hours ago

    SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Saudi-led airstrikes hit weapons caches held by Iran-backed Shiite rebels, touching off massive explosions Monday in Yemen's capital that killed at least 19 people and buried scores of others under the rubble of flattened homes. More »Bombs shatter houses in Yemen capital, hit near Iran Embassy

  • AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd pleads guilty to charges of threatening to kill, drugs possession

    Associated Press - 14 hours ago

    TAURANGA, New Zealand (AP) — AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd pleads guilty to charges of threatening to kill, drugs possession. More »AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd pleads guilty to charges of threatening to kill, drugs possession

  • Four UK Sailors On 'Sex Attack' Charges Bailed

    Sky News - 14 hours ago

    Four Royal Navy sailors charged with an alleged sex attack on a civilian woman in Canada have been released on bail. Craig Stoner, 24, Darren Smalley, 35, Joshua Finbow, 23, and Simon Radford, 31, are each accused of one count of sexual assault. The assault allegedly took place last week at a drinking party at the Shearwater military barracks in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The Associated Press described the alleged incident as a "group sexual assault". More »Four UK Sailors On 'Sex Attack' Charges Bailed

  • More Distress Calls From Migrant Boats In Med

    Sky News - 14 hours ago

    Italian and Maltese ships are responding to distress calls from two boats with hundreds of migrants on board off Libya. The calls were made from an inflatable life raft with 100 to 150 migrants on board and a boat carrying about 300 people, said Italy's Prime Minister Matteo Renzi. The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) said one of the callers reported that 20 people had been killed as the boat sank in international waters. Passengers can be seen jumping into the sea and swimming towards the shore, as coast guard officers and onlookers climb down rocks to rescue the migrants, including a child wearing a lifejacket. More »More Distress Calls From Migrant Boats In Med

  • Canada to issue passport to jailed Al Jazeera journalist Fahmy

    Reuters - 14 hours ago

    The Canadian government said on Monday it is now able to issue a passport to Mohamed Fahmy, the Al Jazeera journalist and naturalised Canadian who had been jailed in Egypt and is awaiting retrial there. "After several weeks of intervention by government officials on Mr. Fahmy’s behalf, we are now in a position to issue Mr. Fahmy’s a passport despite ongoing legal issues and travel restrictions," Kevin Menard, a spokesman for Canadian Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander, said in an e-mail. More »Canada to issue passport to jailed Al Jazeera journalist Fahmy

  • Six tourists, pilot killed in Dom. Republic plane crash

    AFP - 14 hours ago

    Six tourists from Britain and Spain and their local pilot were killed Monday when their small plane crashed into a golf course after takeoff from Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, authorities said. More »Six tourists, pilot killed in Dom. Republic plane crash

  • U.S. offers Ukraine $17.7 million in humanitarian aid - White House

    Reuters - 14 hours ago

    U.S. Vice President Joe Biden spoke with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko on Monday about the ongoing crisis in eastern Ukraine and offered an additional $17.7 million (12 million pound) in aid for essentials like food, shelter and water, the White House said. Biden and Poroshenko discussed Ukraine's reform efforts, the White House said in a statement. "The vice president welcomed the appointment of a new head of the anti-corruption bureau and encouraged the further implementation of rule of law reforms, including anti-trust measures and judicial reform," the White House said. More »U.S. offers Ukraine $17.7 million in humanitarian aid - White House

Pagination

(1000 stories)