Wrexham festival told by council it 'cannot legally proceed' without licence

Generic image of a festival
-Credit: (Image: Pixabay)


The organisers of a five-day festival in Wrexham planned for August have been told they "cannot legally proceed without a licence". The Another World Music Festival is scheduled to run from August 1-5 but Wrexham County Borough Council say they have not received a licence application and that it cannot go ahead without one, provoking a furious response from organisers.

Another World Music Festival insist they have been in "full communication" with the council about the event since October last year and accused the council of putting out a "false statement". They say the the event, which will feature around 40 acts, according to their website "only needs a TENS (temporary event notice)" which they can apply for any time up to 10 days before August 1, if the capacity is less than 500 people.

The council, in a statement, said: "Another World Festival is being advertised on the internet as a multi-day music festival being held in Wrexham from the 1st to 5th August this year. Tickets are available to purchase through a third party ticket platform and have been on sale since August last year.

READ MORE: Young man dies after being hit by lorry on A55

READ MORE: Anglesey holiday park development plan rejected amid road safety fears

"The website includes business information about the event organiser who is WCE Ltd, a UK company registered in September 2023.

"Given the description of the event made on the website, a licence will be needed from Wrexham Council. There is currently no licence for the event and no application has so far been received.

"A multi-agency Safety Advisory Group would also be needed to review all aspects of event safety. Event organisers have so far made no approach to engage with the Safety Advisory Group to discuss and agree all safety related aspects of the event. Wrexham Council cannot issue the required licence without the co-operation of WCE Ltd. The event cannot legally proceed without a licence.”

Another World Music Festival said it was "not quite sure why the council has released such a statement".

A spokesperson added: "Unfortunately ticket sales are not where we would like them to be and Another World festival like many other festivals is struggling. Plans are in place for the event to go ahead, artists are booked and payed for, staging and production is all in place, marquee hire etc.. has all been booked and the council have been informed.

"As the event (is) unfortunately at such low capacity the event only needs a TENS (temporary event notice) and this can be applied for any time up until 10 days prior to the event, again the council are well aware of the fact we are applying for a TENS." They expressed bewilderment that the council could say "they have no idea and haven't been notified".

"We informed the council back in April 2024 we are closely monitoring ticket sales to see if a full licence was required or the smaller 500 capacity TENS was required and as such a TENS is required however this does not need to be applied for another 7 or 8 weeks, this is evidenced in the attached to the council.

"As per the council's own website a TENS doesn't need to be applied for until 10 working days prior to the event. Even then we can apply for a late TENS.

"I'm not quite sure why they would release a statement.... and this morning we have instructed solicitors to now take on the council for releasing a false statement." It's understood the festival will take place in Borras Park.

Sign up now for the latest news on the North Wales Live Whatsapp community

See what's going on near you