Judge tells Prince Andrew to ‘get to the substance’ as lawyers try to invalidate Virginia Giuffre’s sexual assault claim

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Andrew has denied Ms Giuffre’s claims of sexual abuse (REUTERS)
Andrew has denied Ms Giuffre’s claims of sexual abuse (REUTERS)

A US judge has told Prince Andrew’s lawyers to “cut the technicalities” as they fought to have a sexual assault lawsuit thrown out before it had even begun.

The Duke of York is accused of having sex with Virginia Giuffre when she was 17 and under the control of notorious paedophile billionaire Jeffrey Epstein.

A lawsuit was lodged in a New York court last month, and Ms Giuffre’s legal team believed they had served the prince with notice of the case at his Windsor home on August 27.

But Prince Andrew is arguing that he has not been properly served, calling the case against him “baseless, non-viable and potentially unlawful” and urging Judge Lewis Kaplan to throw it out.

At a fractious hearing by telephone conference on Monday night, the judge said Ms Giuffre’s lawyers “have a pretty high degree of certainty” that the royal will be served “sooner rather than later”.

“Let’s cut out all the technicalities and get to the substance,” he said.

In a blast at the lawyers on both sides, Judge Kaplan added: “There is a very swift way of getting to the substance promptly, but you two need to talk about that because I can see a lot of legal fees being spent and time being expended and delay which may not be terribly productive for anyone.”

Ms Giuffre’s lawyers could now ask for help from the US court on service of the legal documents, including a formal request to UK authorities to complete the process.

Lisa Bloom, a lawyer for victims of Epstein, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme the legal wrangling is “not a good look” for Prince Andrew.

“Wealthy people typically get on their planes and go away, they can try to evade service and they often do,” she said. “But it doesn’t work forever. I see people like this all the time, high-profile people in sexual abuse cases and eventually the judges grow tired of it.”

Ms Bloom added that she expects Ms Giuffre’s team to soon demand to see palace calendars, diaries, log books, and “records of where he (Andrew) was on the dates she says he sexually assaulted her”. “I would embark on an aggressive course of discovery,” she said. “I would take depositions, witness statements under oath.”

Ms Giuffre has alleged she was forced into work as a “sex slave” for Epstein, being trafficked around the world.

She claims she was forced to have sex with Prince Andrew at Epstein’s homes in New York and in the US Virgin Islands, as well as a property in Belgravia belonging to Epstein’s girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell, and feared death or serious injury if she refused.

Prince Andrew has insisted the allegations are untrue and says he does not remember meeting Ms Giuffre. Epstein died in prison in August 2019, while Maxwell denies allegations of sex trafficking and is in a US jail awaiting trial.

At last night’s court hearing, Prince Andrew was represented by top Hollywood attorney Andrew Brettler, whose past clients include actor Armie Hammer and director Bryan Singer.

Mr Brettler told the court they believe the lawsuit is a “non-viable and potentially unlawful” case, disputing that service of papers — handed to a police officer outside the Royal Lodge in Windsor — was effective.

He said the prince’s team will argue that a 2009 settlement agreement that Ms Giuffre signed with Jeffrey Epstein over claims of sexual abuse “releases the Duke and others from any and all potential liability”.

Read More

Andrew’s lawyer says documents will absolve him of liability in sex assault case

Hollywood lawyer to represent Duke of York in US sex assault case

Prince Andrew to challenge U.S. court jurisdiction in sex assault case

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting