Computer expert, 27, died from carbon monoxide poisoning after nodding off on mum's sofa, inquest hears

·2-min read
The inquest was held at Maidstone County Hall. (Google Maps)
An inquest held at Maidstone County Hall found that a computer expert died from carbon monoxide poisoning. (Google Maps)

A computer expert died from carbon monoxide poisoning after nodding off on the sofa at his mother's house, an inquest has heard.

Elliot Bourne, 27, from Sidcup, had arrived at the house in Hythe, Kent, at around 11am on 8 May.

Bourne, who was suffering with a cold, settled down to rest near the fireplace and fell asleep. 

He was found unresponsive the next day still on the sofa.

Read: Police launch urgent search after 15-year-old girl goes missing

Paramedics rushed to the house but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

An inquest at County Hall in Maidstone ruled the cause of death as carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Coroner Katrina Hepburn immediately adjourned the inquest for two months while investigations into the circumstances of his death continue.

The hearing was told that Bourne, who had lived in Sidcup all of his life, had a very close relationship with his sister Jen.

He also adored his two-year-old niece, Amelia, with who he was "totally besotted".

His family remembered him as an "exceptionally unique and special gentleman" who "possessed fine qualities and talents beyond measure".

A eulogy read out at his funeral stated: "He was generous to a fault and would happily give you anything.

"He was caring, thoughtful and affectionate – he would hug everyone. El was also incredibly kind and he had a good sense of humour and a real zest for life."

An online fundraiser launched to help pay the funeral costs raised more than £24,000 for his family.

The firm he worked for, FHP Engineering Services Solutions and CJ Design Partnership, also paid tribute.

Eddie Howes, from the company, said: "It was a joy to work in the presence of Elliot. I will never forget the warmth his smile brought to the office each and every day.

"Elliot worked within our Bexley team as MEP CAD technician for seven years and had progressed within the company to become a very competent young professional.

"He would go above and beyond every single day to help out his colleagues while ensuring that he undertook his own roles and responsibilities to the highest of standards.

"Elliot was always happy and smiling and brought such a positive vibe to the office and our working lives. He will be dreadfully missed by all."

The inquest was adjourned until September while further details as to how the tragedy unfolded are analysed.

Watch: NHS worker speaks out after 'racially motivated' attack

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting