Young dad meets his baby girl just moments before his death

No caption
-Credit: (Image: No credit)

A heartbroken mother has shared the poignant moment her son met his newborn daughter in the hospital shortly before his tragic death at the age of 23. George Fenlon had been left in a coma following a brutal attack during a night out in Blackpool.

His partner, Beth Turner, who was also 23 and heavily pregnant at the time, gave birth to their daughter, Clara Georgia, named after her father, just two weeks before his passing. Despite being unable to regain consciousness, George was able to meet his daughter in the hospital before the agonizing decision was made to switch off his life support.

The deeply moving encounter was captured by George's devastated mother, Melissa, who described the emotional turmoil of the experience. "Looking back now, I'm not sure how we all got through it, the range of emotions we had to go through was horrendous," she said.

READ MORE: Wanted Huddersfield man found and charged with rape

"Beth wanted Clara to meet George and have a little bit of time with him so she had a C-section and she had a couple of weeks in hospital with him where she saw him every day."

"It was important that she did that because we've got memories, we've got pictures. The hospital did a lot, we've also got little prints of Clara's and George's hands together.", reports the Manchester Evening News.

The police were called to the scene of the attack at The Strand in Blackpool at around 2 am on August 15th last year, where they found George, who worked as a bartender at Revolution Bar, with severe head injuries. The investigation into the assault is ongoing.

George was rushed to Royal Preston Hospital and placed on life support, but sadly passed away on November 22. An inquest heard that he collapsed and lost consciousness, with a post-mortem revealing his cause of death as complications from blunt head trauma.

"We were all in shock, we weren't sure what was happening. It was one of his friends who phoned, he said something had happened but no one was sure what," Melissa continued.

"Then we heard George had gone to Royal Preston Hospital and we didn't know why but when we got more information, we found out he had a serious head injury so Preston was the best place for him. His girlfriend was six or seven months pregnant at that time so we were all just in shock and when we saw him it was pretty horrific."

Six months after his death, Melissa is now hoping to create a lasting legacy for her 'fun-loving' son. She has organised a fundraising event in July called 'The Fenlon Football Funday' in Stanley Park in the resort, featuring a football tournament and kids' entertainment.

"He just wanted to make people laugh, he was a fun-loving guy and very easygoing, nothing really fazed him to be honest," Melissa said.

"Clara's favourite TV show is Teletubbies and he was like a big Teletubby I suppose, just daft and it's sad that Clara will never experience that. So the fun day is for Clara and all of George's friends, to keep his memory alive."

"George was just so popular that it'll be nice for the youngsters of Blackpool not to be sad, but instead remember George through Clara. If it's a success this year, I'm hoping it will be an annual event. It's just what George was, he was a fun-loving guy who loved his football, so it's what George would have wanted - for everyone to have a nice day."

Revolution Bar, where George worked, is continuing the celebrations in the evening and will be creating a cocktail in his name. All proceeds will go towards Elliot's place, a local charity dedicated to supporting young men with their mental health and wellbeing.

"George's friends have been struggling with his loss so the charity just spoke to me, it made sense," Melissa added.