For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – February 27, 2020 – Zacks Market Edge is a podcast hosted weekly by cks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here:
Warren Buffett’s Simple Advice for Investors in 2020
Welcome to Episode #214 of the Zacks Market Edge Podcast.
Every week, host and Zacks stock strategist, Tracey Ryniec, will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life.
This week, Tracey is going solo to talk about the stock market volatility due to the coronavirus epidemic and what investors can do during it.
Coincidentally, this week legendary value investor, and Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway, Warren Buffett joined CNBC’s Becky Quick in a multi-hour interview covering a range of investing topics, including what an investor should do during these volatile times.
You can watch the full interview on YouTube here.
His advice was classic and is worth repeating.
Key Advice from Warren Buffett
1. Investors are owners. You don’t just own a “stock”. You own the business.
2. Don’t buy or sell your business based on headlines. Has the long-term outlook changed at all?
3. Have cash on hand for buying opportunities.
Seems simple, right?
But for many investors it’s hard to execute. Panic and fear often take over.
But why not take control of the situation.
How do you do that?
Have a plan.
Make a Wish List for that Cash
Keep a wish list of your favorite stocks and where they would need to trade to go “on sale.”
1. Energy. Occidental Petroleum (OXY) just hit 52-week lows. It has a dividend yielding 8%, but earnings are coming up so be sure to check in and see if that dividend is “safe.”
2. Travel. Expedia (EXPE) shares are down 10% on coronavirus fears. It just announced it was cutting 3,000 jobs, or 12% of the work force, as well. It’s trading with a forward P/E of 15.
3. Airlines. United Airlines (UAL) has fallen 12% in the last 5 sessions. It also withdrew its 2020 guidance due to the coronavirus uncertainty. It’s trading with a forward P/E of 6 but those earnings estimates could be cut shortly.
4. Cruises. Royal Caribbean (RCL) has fallen 18.6% in the last week on coronavirus fears. The shares are now yielding 3.2%. It has a forward P/E of just 9.6.
5. Social media. Facebook (FB) is down 9% over the last 5 sessions and now trades with a forward P/E of 21. But with three massive platforms, Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp, it has the ability to keep friends and family connected during these uncertain times.
What else should you know about staying calm during this market volatility?
Listen to this week’s podcast to find out.
[In full disclosure, the author of this article owns shares of FB in her personal portfolio.]
5 Stocks Set to Double
Each was hand-picked by a Zacks expert as the #1 favorite stock to gain +100% or more in 2020. Each comes from a different sector and has unique qualities and catalysts that could fuel exceptional growth.
Most of the stocks in this report are flying under Wall Street radar, which provides a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor.
Today, See These 5 Potential Home Runs >>
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Zacks-Investment-Research/57553657748?ref=ts
Zacks Investment Research is under common control with affiliated entities (including a broker-dealer and an investment adviser), which may engage in transactions involving the foregoing securities for the clients of such affiliates.
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performancefor information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
Expedia Group, Inc. (EXPE) : Free Stock Analysis Report
United Airlines Holdings Inc (UAL) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCL) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Occidental Petroleum Corporation (OXY) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Facebook, Inc. (FB) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research