Boston bomb suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been moved to a Massachusetts prison, the US Marshals Service has confirmed.
The 19-year-old is now at the Federal Medical Centre in Devens - 40 miles (65km) northwest of Boston - which provides long-term medical care for inmates.
US Marshals Service spokesman Drew Wade released the following statement: "The US Marshals Service confirms that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been transported from the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Centre and is now confined at the Bureau of Prisons facility FMC Devens at Ft Devens, Massachusetts."
The younger Tsarnaev brother is recovering from a gunshot wound to the throat and other injuries suffered during his attempted getaway, days after the bombing which killed three and wounded 264.
The ethnic Chechen has been charged with using a weapon of mass destruction and could face the death penalty if convicted in a US federal court.
Before being moved from hospital, he reportedly told investigators that he and his brother Tamerlan, 26, had discussed going to New York to detonate their remaining explosives.
Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly told journalists at a briefing that the two suspects had a pressure cooker bomb and five pipe bombs they intended to set off in Times Square.
Police Commissioner Kelly said: "Dzhokhar Tsarnaev revealed he and his brother decided spontaneously on Times Square as a target and they would drive to Times Square that same night.
"They discussed this while driving around in an SUV they had hijacked after they shot and killed an MIT police officer in Cambridge.
"That plan fell apart when they realised the vehicle they hijacked was low on gas and ordered the driver to stop at a gas station when the driver used the opportunity to escape and called police.
"Up till that point the brothers had at their disposal six improvised explosive devices.
"One was a pressure cooker bomb similar to the two that exploded the marathon. The other five were pipe bombs. We knew Dzhokhar was pictured in Times Square with friends on or before April 18, 2012, and he was in the city again in 2012.
"We don't know if those visits were related in any way to the brother’s spontaneous decision to target Times Square."
A senior US law enforcement source told Sky News the brothers' plan to attack New York was "aspirational at best". He said it was "just talk, there were no real plans, research on, or attempts to get to New York".
The news came just hours after their mother launched an impassioned attack on US authorities over the death of her older son.
Zubeidat Tsarnaeva said she regretted moving to the United States and claimed "America took my kids away from me".
An emotional Mrs Tsarnaeva said she was told her she could not see her remaining son.
She said she had been told he had a "really bad wound to his right neck" which meant he could not eat and was being fed by a tube.
Reports in the US have claimed the teenager suffered a self-inflicted throat injury during a shootout and subsequent stand-off with the police.
According to US officials, he said his older brother, who died in a gunfight with police, recruited him to take part in the attacks only recently.
However, both Mrs Tsarnaeva and her husband, Anzor Tsarnaev, said there was no way their sons were responsible for the attack which killed three people, including an eight-year-old boy, and injured more than 180 others.
She said her sons were victims of a conspiracy and had been framed. She claimed she had seen a video of Tamerlan being arrested and was later shown pictures of him alive.
Mrs Tsarnaeva said she had spoken to her son after the bombings and before he was killed in the police shootout during which he told her "Don't worry mamma" and tried to reassure her he was safe.
Mr Tsarnaev told reporters: "I am going to the United States. I want to say that I am going there to see my son, to bury the older one. I don't have any bad intentions. I don't plan to blow up anything."
Banging the table as he spoke, he said: "I am not angry at anyone. I want to go find out the truth."
Mrs Tsarnaeva said she was not sure whether she would accompany her husband. She was charged with shoplifting in the US last summer and is concerned she could be arrested.
They were speaking as it emerged that Tamerlan's name had been included on a database of suspected terrorists by the CIA in 2011, 18 months before the attacks.
He was investigated after Russia's FSB security service raised concerns that he had become a follower of Russian Islam.
Mrs Tsarnaeva said she did not believe that Russia had raised concerns over her son with the US authorities.