Advertisement

Abdul Ezedi: Police release new images as they search five properties in hunt for Clapham chemical attack suspect

Police have searched five properties as they hunt for Clapham chemical attack suspect Abdul Ezedi - with bodycam footage showing officers entering a home in Newcastle where empty containers with corrosive warnings were found.

The Metropolitan Police has said forensic tests are currently ongoing to see if the containers held the substance used in the attack on Wednesday 31 January.

The force added that searches took place at two addresses in east London and three in Newcastle upon Tyne on Saturday as they continue to hunt for Ezedi.

Ezedi, 35, has been urged by police to hand himself in after going on the run following the attack involving a corrosive alkaline substance.

Twelve people were injured, including a mother, 31, and her two daughters, aged three and eight. All three remain in hospital, with the mother's injuries thought to be "life-changing".

Ezedi and the mother were in a relationship, a relative of the suspect has told Sky News.

Following the search of the five properties, Met Commander Jon Savell said: "Abdul Ezedi was last seen at King's Cross Underground Station at 21.00 hours on Wednesday, 31 January, where he boarded a Victoria Line train travelling southbound.

"The police investigation to establish his subsequent movements and ultimately locate him is continuing at pace.

"I want to thank everyone who has contacted police to share what they know."

Cdr Savell added: "We have received dozens of calls with information, including possible sightings, and every single piece of information has been recorded and forms part of our ongoing investigation.

"I can assure the public that my colleagues and I are fully committed to using every available tool and tactic for as long as it takes to find Abdul Ezedi.

"I am today urging the public to remain vigilant and to contact police immediately if they may have seen Ezedi or have information about him.

"I would also like to reiterate that if you see Ezedi, you should call 999 immediately. He should NOT be approached."

Read more:
Everything we know about the attack so far

Police hunting Clapham chemical attack suspect raid 'brother's home'

CCTV images released by police on Friday showed Ezedi with what appeared to be extensive injuries to the right side of his face.

A close relative of the suspect has told Sky News that they are "worried about" him and they want to "find out if he is alive or dead".

Ezedi arrived in the UK on a lorry in 2016 after fleeing Afghanistan.

After two failed attempts, his asylum claim to stay in the UK was granted in 2020.

This was despite the fact he was handed a suspended sentence for a sexual offence in November 2018.

Ezedi was allowed to stay in the country after a priest confirmed he had converted to Christianity and had said he was "wholly committed" to his new religion, Sky News understands.

An asylum seeker can claim asylum in the UK on the basis of religious persecution in their native country.