Harry Dunn's alleged killer has appeared in a UK court to face a charge of causing his death by dangerous driving.
Anne Sacoolas made an appearance at Westminster Magistrates' Court via video link from the United States on Thursday as the 19-year-old's extended family watched from the public gallery.
The chief magistrate told the 45-year-old she would be required to attend her next hearing - at the Old Bailey on 27 October - in person.
But he said: "That may change because there will be a joint application to allow you to attend by video link as you have today."
Previously, an extradition request by the Crown Prosecution Service was denied by the US State Department.
Sacoolas is accused of causing the teenage motorcyclist's death in a collision outside a US military base in Northamptonshire in August 2019.
She had diplomatic immunity asserted on her behalf by the US government after the crash outside RAF Croughton, and was able to leave the UK 19 days later.
It was revealed last year that she and her husband Jonathan both worked in US intelligence.
Family 'relieved to get to this point'
Since his death, Mr Dunn's mother Charlotte Charles and father Tim Dunn have fought for Sacoolas's return to the UK to face justice.
A decision was finally reached to charge her in December 2019.
Speaking outside court after the hearing, the family's spokesman, Radd Seiger, said they are "very pleased and relieved to get to this point".
He said in a brief statement: "We absolutely respect the criminal justice system and the parents will not be making any comments at this time until the conclusion of criminal proceedings.
"But I just want to say on their behalf a massive thank you to you all who have supported us over the last three years.
"And to the millions of people around the world who have supported this heroic family through this amazing campaign. We'll see you all next month."