Woman, 25, arrested after RAF jets scrambled to escort Jet2 flight back to Stansted

Jet2 or budget airline carrier Boeing 737-800 specifically 737-85P(WL) winglets airplane, with registration G-JZHH and aircraft name Costa Brava, landing at Tenerife South Airport TFS GCTS - Reina Sofia International Airport in Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain in a blue sky day with clouds. Jet2 LS EXS CHANNEX is a British low cost airline and connects on scheduled and charter flights for holidays Tenerife South with Belfast International, Birmingham, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds Bradford, London Stansted, Manchester and Newcastle. (Photo by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
A Jet2 flight was forced to return to Stansted due to an "extremely disruptive passenger"

A woman has been arrested after two RAF jets were scrambled to escort a Jet2 flight back to Stansted Airport.

The “extremely disruptive passenger”, 25, was on board a flight from Stansted to Dalaman in Turkey on Saturday when the pilot was forced to return to the London airport.

Essex Police confirmed that a woman was arrested on suspicion of assault and endangering an aircraft.

A Jet2 spokeswoman said: "We are aware of an incident regarding an extremely disruptive passenger on a flight from Stansted to Dalaman earlier this evening.

"The aircraft has returned safely and we are liaising with the relevant authorities to support their investigation.

"We are working hard to ensure the remaining customers reach their destination as soon possible."

An Essex Police spokeswoman said: "We were made aware of a disruptive passenger on an inbound flight to Stansted this evening, Saturday June 22.

"There is a possibility that residents nearby may have heard a loud noise, often associated with a sonic boom, as the aircraft descended into Stansted airspace.

"Officers attended and arrested a 25-year-old woman on suspicion of two assaults and endangering an aircraft. She remains in custody."


Homeless man dies of '100% burns' after tent he was living in is set on fire

Kitten survives 40-mile trip trapped under car bonnet

Boris Johnson's neighbour speaks out after calling the police to domestic disturbance

A Royal Air Force spokeswoman said: "We can confirm that RAF quick reaction alert Typhoon aircraft from RAF Coningsby scrambled to escort a commercial flight into Stansted shortly after take-off due to reports of a disruptive passenger."

The two Typhoon fighter aircraft caused a sonic boom as the plane was escorted back to Stansted, prompting people to call 999 as they feared there had been an explosion.

One man described the noise as a "huge bang" which "nearly blew my window out".

Bishop's Stortford police tweeted: "Large number of 999 calls coming in about a loud explosion.

“We have liaised with @EssexPoliceUK who are confirming that this is a sonic boom from a passing aircraft."