Black Lives Matter. We stand in support of our black colleagues, readers and those calling for justice and fairness in the UK, the US and around the world. This is a global issue and we are opposed to racism in all its forms. As a brand, we have an ongoing commitment to diversity, which underpins all our decisions. We want to do more. We are listening.
We have all been outraged by the horrifying death of George Floyd, and watched the resulting protests around the world unfold. In light of recent events, you might be wondering what you can do to help. Sharing a hashtag on social media is a positive step, but we all need to make a conscious effort to listen, learn and act; silence is not an option
If you're keen to make a donation to a worthy cause, or put your name to a petition that you believe in, here's a list of some of the organisations in the US and UK you can lend your support to now:
How to support in the UK
- Black Lives Matter UK - The UK branch of Black Lives Matter, which aims to end white supremacy and calls for those who haven't spoken out to break their silence.
- Operation Black Vote - The group works to ensure greater racial justice and equality within the UK.
- The Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust - In memory of 18-year-old Stephen Lawrence, who was murdered by a group of white men in 1993, the organisation works to support young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and support them in their future careers.
- StopWatch - The group promotes effective, accountable and fair policing, focusing on stop and search laws which disproportionately target people of colour.
- The National Memorial Family Fund - The first permanent national resource of its kind, specifically for those that are affected by deaths in custody.
- Stand Up To Racism - An organisation highlighting the power of uniting as one in the fight against racism in all its forms.
- BTEG - The national charity aims to end racial inequality through education and employment.
Where to donate in the US
- George Floyd Memorial Fund - Your donations will go towards funeral costs, counselling and legal assistance. A portion of these funds will also go to the Estate of George Floyd for the benefit and care of his children and their educational fund.
- Color of Change - The organisation campaigns to end practices that unfairly hold black people back and champion solutions to move us all forward. It's calling for the police officers who killed George Floyd to be fully charged for their crime.
- The Bail Project - The Bail Project works to prevent incarceration and combat racial and economic disparities in the bail system.
- Black Lives Matter - #BlackLivesMatter was founded in 2013 in response to the acquittal of Trayvon Martin’s murderer. Its mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on black communities by the state and vigilantes.
- Minnesota Freedom Fund - A community-based non-profit that pays criminal bail and immigration bonds for those arrested while protesting police brutality.
- The NAACP Legal Defence Fund - The fund works to ensure the political, educational, social and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination.
- Know Your Rights Camp - Provides resources for black and brown communities, such as hiring defence lawyers for anyone arrested during police brutality protests.
Sign up here to get Harper’s Bazaar magazine delivered straight to your door.
You Might Also Like