Bodycam Footage Shows Knoxville Police Officer Helping Woman in Need
Bodycam footage released by police in Tennessee shows an officer lending a helping hand to a homeless woman on March 19.
This footage from the Knoxville Police Department, shows the woman talking to officer Luis Sanchez in a parking lot. The woman proceeds to explain that her partner is in the hospital and now she is feeling ill.
Sanchez offers to help her, asking: “What do you need right now?”
“Really I need a jacket,” the woman responds.
The video then shows Sanchez returning to hand the woman a puffer coat. “Thank you so, so much,” she says.
In a Facebook post the police department lauded Sanchez for “his compassion and this act of kindness.” Credit: Knoxville Police Department via Storyful
- You doing all right? I haven't seen you in a while, what you've been up to?
- It's cold.
- It's cold.
- It's cold?
- It's cold, [INAUDIBLE].
- Are you OK?
- OK. Are you OK?
- Yeah, I've been [INAUDIBLE] stuff.
- I'll be here tomorrow, probably.
- Are you all right?
- Uh, the staff's had a copy of my insurance card. I've got to take how much I paid.
- I just sore-- I have a sore throat. I'm sick.
- I've got to go.
- All right.
- I get paid tomorrow, so I'm going to get a room because I'm, like, a little bit sick.
- Are you on anything right now?
- Uh, uh, no, I'm not. I'm just freezing like, I feel like--
- Yeah, I can tell.
- Where's your other half?
- He's in the hospital with--
- He's still in the hospital?
- Yeah. These are getting uncomfortable because I have--
- What do you need right now?
- Really, a jacket.
- You need a jacket.
- So I'm getting-- she said she's waiting to get something in.
- What size are you?
- I'm about small.
- You're a small?
- Because I've got two-- two shirts, so here are two pairs of pants, two socks, two gloves, and I'm still cold.
- OK. Are you going to be at the Kroger?
- Are you going to be at the Kroger?
- Yeah, I'm going to [INAUDIBLE].
- OK, I'll see-- I'll see if I can go find something, all right?
- OK, because it's cheaper [INAUDIBLE].
- OK, I've got you. I'll see you down there.
- They put me on [INAUDIBLE] for no trespassing it, that's the most I've been in trouble.
- OK. All right. I'll see you over there at the Kroger. OK, I'll go find you something.
It's the only thing I could find you, OK.
- Thank you so-- and my favorite color.
- There you go.
- Thank you so, so much.
- All right, you need anything else?
- No, I'm good.
- All right. Yes, ma'am, no worries. I'll see you next time, OK.
- OK, great.