Boy, 14, charged with 1st-degree murder in Etobicoke mass shooting

Toronto police at the scene of a fatal shooting in the parking lot of an Etobicoke high school on June 2. (CBC - image credit)
Toronto police at the scene of a fatal shooting in the parking lot of an Etobicoke high school on June 2. (CBC - image credit)

A 14-year-old boy has been arrested and charged in a mass shooting that left two men dead and three others injured earlier this month, Toronto police say.

The accused has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder and seven counts of attempted murder, homicide Det.-Sgt. Phillip Campbell told reporters at a news conference Monday afternoon.

Campbell said the teen was arrested the day after the shooting and charged on Monday after a stolen vehicle investigation. He was scheduled to appear in court on Monday.

Five men were shot on the night of June 2 in the parking lot of North Albion Collegiate Institute, a high school in the city's west end near the corner of Mount Olive Drive and Kipling Avenue in Etobicoke.

All five were taken to hospital with gunshot wounds. Two have since died. Those who were injured suffered either life-altering or non-life-threatening injuries, police have said.

Investigators have identified the two men who died as Delroy "George" Parkes, 61, formerly of Woodstock, Ont., and Toronto man Seymour Gibbs, 46.

Parkes and Gibbs are the city's 34th and 35th homicide victims of the year.

Hours after the shooting, a stolen truck was found to have hit an empty parked vehicle, Campell said. The driver of the stolen truck tried to flee on foot but was arrested by police after a short chase.

After police investigated, they discovered that the youth was one of the suspects involved in the shooting.