Boy, 15, killed in crash with ambulance in Salford after police e-bike pursuit named

A teenage boy who died after colliding with an ambulance while being followed by police has been named as Saul Cookson.

Traffic officers had been pursuing the 15-year-old in Salford, but had been forced to break off the chase when their vehicle was blocked off by bollards.

Greater Manchester Police said the collision between the e-bike and the ambulance took place on Langworthy Road "a short time later".

Neighbour Karen Cosgrove said she had passed the scene at around 2.30pm on Thursday and saw the boy lying on the ground.

She added: "I walked away, I could barely look at it. His mum was there, she was screaming. Everyone's in shock."

The incident has been referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) "in line with normal proceedings", police have said.

A GMP spokesman said: "Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the boy who tragically died."

It was initially reported the ambulance had been parked at the time of the crash, but the emergency service has now confirmed the vehicle had been travelling back to its base.

The North West Ambulance Service said in a statement: "The patient received medical treatment immediately by the ambulance crew and was transported to hospital, where he sadly later died.

"We are participating fully in the police investigation.

"We would like to extend our deepest condolences to the young person's family."

Flowers and candles with tributes to the teenager have been laid at the scene in Salford.

A relative of Saul, who attended the scene to lay flowers, said the family was "a mess" following the news.

Meanwhile, Saul's sister said on Facebook: "Words cannot describe my feelings at the moment. Rest in peace Saul, I love you."

A friend of the family Jacob Bailey, 19, said: "I've known Saul since he was born. He was just one of those proper nice kids. No one had a bad word to say about Saul."

Saul's friend Mitchell Murden described him as "a good lad", and his cousin Jack Pennington wrote on social media: "Everyone who knew Saul knew he was the nicest lad about, had a good heart, polite and have u like no tomorrow.

"Can't believe I'm writing this, no other word describes it other than shock. Don't feel real in the slightest one of the best lads you could meet and I feel lucky to have called u my cousin.

"Had some good times growing up... can't believe that's just it. Shows what a cruel world we're living in. Miss u forever my brother. Can't say goodbye just see you later my mate love you RIP Saul my brother."

An online GoFundMe page set up to help Saul's family with funeral costs has so far raised more than £1,700.

An IOPC spokesperson said: "We are independently investigating the circumstances of a serious collision involving an e-bike and an ambulance in Salford on Thursday.

"The rider of the bike, a 15-year-old boy, was taken to hospital where he sadly died. Our thoughts are with his family and loved ones, as well as all those affected by this tragedy.

"We were notified by Greater Manchester Police due to the fact a police vehicle had been following the e-bike shortly before the collision.

"We have sent investigators to the scene of the collision, at the junction of Langworthy Road and Lower Seedley Road, as well as to the police post-incident procedures, to begin gathering evidence.

"Our investigation is at a very early stage and we will provide further details once we are in a position to do so."

It comes after friends Harvey Evans, 15, and Kyrees Sullivan, 16, were killed in an e-bike collision after being followed by a police van in Cardiff last month, triggering a riot.