Boy, 17, electrocuted 'while trying to retrieve ball' at football ground

Ellen Manning
·2-min read
Euxton Villa Football Club
The 17-year-old died after an incident at Euxton Villa Football Club in Lancashire. (Google Maps)

A teenager has died after being electrocuted by an overhead power line while reportedly trying to retrieve a football with a metal pole.

The 17-year-old is believed to have been in a group of youngsters who touched an overhead electrical line with a metal pole on Saturday evening.

Emergency services were called to Euxton Villa FC's ground in Euxton, Lancashire, just after 6pm to reports of a child being seriously injured.

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

The 17-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene and two other teens were not seriously hurt.

An investigation has been launched but it is believed the electrocution happened as the children touched the power line with a pole.

The Lancashire Post reported that it is understood the boys were trying to reach a ball in a pond when the accident happened.

Read more: Tributes paid to soldier killed during live firing exercise in Wales

Inspector John McNamara, of Lancashire Police, said: “This appalling incident has led to the tragic death of a young man and my thoughts are first and foremost with his family and loved ones at this time.

"The family are being supported by specially trained officers.

He urged anyone with any information to get in touch with police by calling 101 and quoting log 1241 of March 6.

Euxton Villa FC said the ground would be closed on Monday (March 8).

In a tweet, the club wrote: “Due to a tragic incident over the weekend please note the ground and the car park will remain closed on Monday 8th March – Our thoughts are with all those affected.”

Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK News