A British passenger on board a quarantined cruise ship has been confirmed as having coronavirus.
The Briton, who is believed to be on his honeymoon, is among 41 people who Princess Cruises confirmed had tested positive for the virus on the Diamond Princess, which is quarantined off Yokohama Bay in Japan.
The announcement comes after a third person in the UK was diagnosed with coronavirus. That patient, reported to be a middle-aged British man, is understood to be the first UK national to contract the disease after apparently catching the illness in Singapore.
A fellow passenger on the Diamond Princess said the Briton who tested positive for the virus was on his honeymoon and will be separated from his new wife as he is taken off the ship for treatment.
In a video posted on Facebook, David Abel said that he had been dining with the man, who was not named.
He added: “He will almost certainly be leaving the ship today – real, real shame. I have no idea how he must be feeling... they’re on their honeymoon.
“He will be going off in to quarantine in a medical facility and she has to stay on board the ship because she’s not displaying symptoms.
“That’s going to be really, really tough for him so just bear a thought for these passengers who just don’t know what is going to be lying ahead of them.”
In a statement, Princess Cruises said: “Princess Cruises can confirm the nationalities of the 41 people who were tested positive for coronavirus are from Argentina (one); Australia (five); Canada (five), Japan (21); United Kingdom (one) and United States (eight).”
The company said the quarantine on the ship was due to end on February 19, barring any “unforeseen developments”.