Cambridge business owners 'gutted' by spate of break-ins

Cambridge business owners hit by break-ins said they were 'gutted' to learn their businesses had been targeted. The owners of The Engineer's House and Kerb Kollective said the community had rallied together in support after a spate of break-ins near Newmarket Road.

Kerb Kollective, The Green Dragon, The Wrestlers, and Engineer's House were all targeted between June 24 and July 1. Cambridge United's Abbey Stadium was also broken into in the early hours of July 3.

Sam Calverley, owner of Calverley's Brewery, said cheese, soft drinks, and alcohol were stolen from The Engineer's House on June 24 and 30, as well as July 1. He said it was "pretty disconcerting" that the intruders kept coming back: "You just don't know how long it's going to go on for."

He said the intruders had left a trail of "smashed goods" behind them after they left the property. They were captured on CCTV which was handed over to the police.

Rory Foy, who runs Kerb Kollective next door, said he believed the intruders had broken in minutes after the milk order was delivered to the café on June 26. He said: "There was milk just everywhere, and a couple of food items. It then became very evident what actually happened."

Mr Calverley said he was "pretty gutted" to find out there had been more than one break-in. He said: "I was on my way to do the Race For Life when I got the phone call."

Mr Foy said it was "mega stressful" to find out the café and next door Engineers' House had been broken into. He said: "As small as the crisis was, being a small business owner is not for the faint-hearted.

"It has ups and downs and there are enough of those. So when something like that happens, I think everyone rallies together and that's a positive thing."

A Cambridgeshire Police spokesperson said a man had been arrested in connection to break-ins at Cambridge United, The Engineers' House, and The Wrestlers Arms. They said: "A 33-year-old man from Cambridge was arrested on Sunday (7 July) on suspicion of three counts of burglary, four counts of theft and one count of possession of an offensive weapon.

"He has since been released on bail to appear at Parkside police station on 7 October."