Carmarthenshire: Man, 48, jailed after abducting and raping teenage girl during violent 12-hour ordeal

A 48-year-old man has been handed an extended sentence of 30 years after a 12-hour violent and sexual attack on a teenage girl.

Phillip Andrew Williams, of Llandovery in Carmarthenshire, abducted the teenager on the night of 2 August 2022.

At Swansea Crown Court on Tuesday, Williams was sentenced to a 22 year custodial sentence, extended for eight years on licence.

After abducting the teenager, he stole her mobile phone, held a screwdriver to her neck, forced her to drink alcohol and take cocaine, before he tied her hands together and raped her in a field in the area.

Williams then dragged her into a stolen vehicle, physically assaulting her again, before he drove to Margam Country Park near Port Talbot while under the influence.

While there, Williams tried to drag the victim towards a mountain, but she manage to retrieve her mobile phone and flee before she alerted the police on the morning of 3 August.

Officers arrived to find the girl covered in mud and in an extremely distressed state.

She told the police what happened and they found evidence that matched her description of the incident at the scene of her initial attack, including the victim's trainers and underwear and a screwdriver.


Williams tried to evade police in the meantime with a manhunt by officers from both South Wales Police and Dyfed-Powys Police.

He was soon located and arrested - and in just 36 hours was charged and remanded to court.

The charges against him were inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, three counts of rape of a female aged between 13 and 15 years, kidnapping, and sexual assault of a female under 16 years.

Williams pleaded not guilty to all charges, despite the evidence against him.

Read more from Sky News:
Police renew for missing couple with baby
Andrew Tate's detention in Romania extended further

Senior investigating officer Detective Inspector Dale Thomas said: "Williams somehow thought he could get away with what he did but thanks to the efforts of the investigating team and the bravery of the victim, following a five-day trial, the jury returned unanimous guilty verdicts on all charges in just 40 minutes.

"The officer in the case, DC Jade Probert, worked tirelessly to prepare a complete and comprehensive case for court, whilst providing the victim with support and guidance throughout the process.

Click to subscribe to the Sky News Daily wherever you get your podcasts

"We were able to ensure the victim didn't have to go to court to give her evidence but the fact her attacker refused to accept what he had done would have no doubt added to the torment he had inflicted on her.

"I would like to commend the victim for the bravery she has shown throughout the investigation."