Clapham chemical attack victim ‘has lost sight in one eye and has long road ahead’, say friends


Family friends said the mother who was attacked with an alkaline substance in Clapham has lost her sight in one eye.

The unnamed victim is still in hospital after she and her two daughters, aged eight and three, were targeted in Clapham, south London, on January 31.

Friends who are fundraising for the mother issued a new statement on Monday, saying she is “in critical care and desperate to be reunited with her girls”.

They said: "We know mum's lost her sight in one eye, and we're praying that it returns fully in the other.“Our friend is a phenomenal mum and the strongest, most independent person we know.

"She's already making so much progress and is determined to get out of hospital as quickly as possible.

“Physically and mentally, there is a very, very long road ahead for her and the girls.

“Like so many of us, the family were really struggling to make ends meet before the attack, so we just want their recovery to not be compounded by financial fears.

“We know times are tough and the level of support so far means the world. Every donation helps, and sends a powerful message against this evil attack.

“We kindly ask anyone reading this to consider donating even the cost of a coffee to show Mum and the girls that the wider community has their back and they can feel safe again.”

More than £45,000 has been raised so far to help the family “rebuild their lives and recover from this most horrifying attack”.

It comes as the Metropolitan Police revealed a body in has been discovered in the Thames, which they believe may be the suspect in the attack Abdul Ezedi.

A national manhunt was launched for the 35-year-old with the biggest development taking place on Monday, when the crew of a passing boat reported they had seen a body in the water at Tower Pier around 4pm.

The body was recovered by the Met’s Marine Policing Unit and has been viewed by detectives working on the investigation.

Commander Jon Savell said: “Based on the distinctive clothing he was wearing at the time of the attack and property found on his body, we strongly believe we have recovered the body of Ezedi.

“We have been in contact with his family to pass on the news.

“As you may expect after a considerable period of time in the strong current of the Thames, formal identification is not possible visually, nor from fingerprints. We will work with the coroner on other ways to complete formal identification, such as DNA testing and dental records. That may take some time.

“Our enquiries continue into the attack. I am pleased to say the condition of the 31-year-old woman has improved. She remains in hospital but she is in a stable condition and no longer sedated. We have still not been able to speak to her but hope to as soon as she is well enough.

“Again, I thank all those hundreds of members of the public who called us with information during the hunt for Ezedi. The public support for our investigation was overwhelming and every piece of information provided was followed up.”