Jason Manford deletes Twitter after backlash for Ariana Grande tweets

Martyn Hett has been confirmed as one of the 22 people who were ruthlessly killed in the horrific terror attack at Manchester Arena on Monday night, after his worried pal, the comic Jason Manford, made an appeal to fans to help find his lost friend.

Martyn was hailed a “unique and hilarious” lad in an emotional plea shared on Twitter on Tuesday by the former One Show host, who was desperately seeking information about his family friend’s whereabouts.

Jason, who is from Manchester, wrote on Facebook: “Friend of my family is still missing. He’s called Martyn Hett, he was wearing a retro shirt and has a Deidrie Barlow tattoo on his ankle/calf.”

Martyn Hett. (Martyn Hett via Facebook)

The 29-year-old hit the headlines last year when it was revealed he was a Coronation Street superfan and had a tattoo of Weatherfield legend Deirdre Barlow – played by Anne Kirkbride who died in 2015 – on his calf.

His boyfriend Russell Hayward appeared on ‘Come Dine With Me’ with him, and Rusell has been left devastated by the shocking events of Monday night.

“We got the news last night that our wonderful, iconic and beautiful Martyn didn’t survive,” he said.

“He left this world exactly how he lives, centre of attention. I’m in a really bad way so please forgive if I don’t reply.”

Jason Manford
Parkinson’s UK presents Symfunny No. 2. (Photo by Nils Jorgensen/REX/Shutterstock)

Following Jason’s online appeal for help, he deleted his Twitter account, after he was criticised for a Facebook live chat he hosted on Tuesday night in which he lamented the senseless terror attack with his followers.

The 40-year-old comedian broke down in tears when he explained that his children are fans of Ariana Grande, and he would have been likely to have taken them to the concert had he known about it beforehand.

“They want your life to change. For 20 people tonight there’s an empty bed in each of their houses… god,” Jason said. “Unfortunately hatred is winning – it won’t win, though… but at the moment it is.”

Some people took to Twitter to make cruel remarks and accused him of using the incident to gain followers.

Jason, clearly enraged by their insensistive jibes, replied: ““If you can’t say anything nice, shut the f**k up.

“I didn’t do [the video] to be reported by the papers and for some people to suggest some quite horrid things… That’s not why I did it and genuine fans know that.”

READ MORE

Terror attack: Ariana Grande flies home to Florida and her fans unite online, as Beiber’s beg him to cancel UK shows
Kim Kardashian blasted for party pic tribute to Ariana Grande following terror attack
Polish parents confirmed dead in Manchester attack after daughter’s plea to find them

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram for the latest celebrity news.