A primary school has been forced to close its doors, and pupils and staff advised to quarantine themselves, after a catering worker tested positive for coronavirus.
Epsom Primary School is closed until 29 June following the discovery that a member of its external catering team had tested positive for COVID-19.
In a letter to parents dated 12 June, headteacher Michelle Pollard said the case had been reported to Public Health England and as the majority of children in the school receive school dinners it had been decided to close the school for 14 days to eliminate the risk of cross infection.
The letter added: “After a thorough risk assessment, we have been advised that all children and staff, who have school dinners, should now self-isolate for 14 days as a precaution.”
The latest closure comes after the government was forced to admit defeat over its plans for all primary pupils in England to attend classes before the summer break.
In the letter, parents were reassured that the risk of contracting coronavirus is “low” in this case.
Pollard added: “I am sorry to have to give you this news but the safety of pupils and staff must be our priority.
“Hopefully, we look forward to welcoming you all back on Monday 29th June 2020.”
She reportedly said the closure, which comes less than two weeks after reception, year one and year six students started returning to the classroom, was “disappointing” as it came at a time when “some normality” was returning for children.
Coronavirus: what happened today
Read more about COVID-19
How to get a coronavirus test if you have symptoms
How easing of lockdown rules affects you
In pictures: How UK school classrooms could look in new normal
How public transport could look after lockdown
How our public spaces will change in the future