I could have turned down West Ham stay, says David Moyes

Jack Rosser
West Ham United via Getty Images

David Moyes has hinted that he may well have turned down West Ham if they had offered him a new deal last summer.

The Scotsman, who was handed a six-month deal to save West Ham’s season from doom in November last year, left the London Stadium in May have guided the Hammers to 13th in the Premier League with the board opting to go for the ‘high calibre’ option of Manuel Pellegrini.

Moyes, who had reservations about staying on and continuing to work with David Sullivan and the rest of the board but was ready to take on the task come the end of the season, had always worked with the mindset that he would be in charge this season and beyond.

However, in an interview with The Telegraph, Moyes has claimed he and his staff may well have snubbed a new deal.

“I don’t think we could have done any more than we did,” he said. “We weren’t interested in talking about my future until we knew we had got them safe.

“David Sullivan was ok with that and that is what we agreed. But when we came to speak in the summer, it was clear they wanted to go with someone else. Look, that’s fine, whether we would have taken the job if it was offered, is another matter...”

The former Everton and Manchester United boss regularly spoke of building something in east London and, in his final column for the Evening Standard, just six days before his departure was annoucned, said he wanted to aim higher following their Premier League survival.

davidmoyes160518a.jpg

(West Ham United via Getty Images)

“I won’t be walking around the pitch at the London Stadium on Sunday celebrating avoiding relegation. I want to aim higher - much higher,” the 55-year-old wrote.

Moyes also made it clear that, were he and the board on the same page, he would commit to a new deal: “My short-term contract expires very soon. If we can agree common goals at the end of this season I would like to stay at West Ham as I do believe we are on the right road.”