David Meyler's Hull City FA Cup final heartbreak and Olivier Giroud clash

David Meyler trudges down the Wembley steps after Hull City's FA Cup final defeat to Arsenal
David Meyler trudges down the Wembley steps after Hull City's FA Cup final defeat to Arsenal -Credit:Clive Mason/Getty Images

Ten years on, FA Cup final hero David Meyler admits he still can't watch the 2014 final back despite it being one of Hull City's iconic moments.

City were beaten 3-2 by Arsenal in a thrilling final at Wembley having led 2-0 inside the opening eight minutes, only for Aaron Ramsey to score the winner deep in extra-time after a pulsating game under the arch.

Meyler, who was a key figure on the day for City, says it remains a game that still haunts him to this day as he reflected on the experience in conversation with the 1904 Club.

READ MORE: From Boothferry to Wembley - Hull City's 'magnificent' FA Cup final run 10 years on

"I've watched a lot of games back in my career, but it's one game I've never watched back, Meyler told the 1904 Club. "A part of me struggles with it," the Irishman said.

"To think we got to the 118th minute of extra time; we wouldn't have won on penalties. The only time in my life I've ever had cramp was in that game."

City roared into a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from James Chester and Curtis Davies, only for Arsene Wenger's Gunners to drag themselves back into it through Santi Cazorla shortly after. It took until late in the second half for Arsenal to draw level through Laurent Koscielny to take it to extra-time, and then Ramsey broke the Tigers' hearts at the death.

"We were stood in the tunnel, and usually, eight minutes before kick-off, there will be a bang on the door and the buzzer will go and you'll have to be in the tunnel waiting," Meyler continued. "We were all standing there, boots tied, pads on, socks up, shirts tucked in and everyone's ready to go. Arsenal came out in dribs and drabs, laces undone. We were ready. I swear to you, that's why we went 2-0 up. We were there and they came out thinking 'hey, it's Hull City, we'll pump these easy' and they ended up beating us.

"Our game plan was a 5-4-1 to try and restrict them - the players they had, (Mesut) Ozil, Cazorla and (Mikel) Arteta in midfield, I just remember running after Ozil, they were unbelievable. We knew we were going to be limited in the opportunities we got, whether that be a set-piece, break forward with some speed, get a corner, that's where both our goals came from. We knew we had good physical players who liked to get first contact on corners and there were opportunities for us.

"Whenever you play a big team, you know you might get one or two chances and you've got to take them. In extra time, you look at (Soni) Aluko one, it's a great chance, and there were other moments that could have gone our way. (Alex) Brucey has one cleared off the line and that puts us 3-0 up inside 11 minutes.

"Our whole thing was get to half-time at 2-0 and I promise you this, in hindsight, if we'd have to half-time at 2-0 we would have won that game, they'd have never come back.

"There was hope, and we as players, probably gave you too much hope because it was a huge ask. We'd come so far playing teams that were below us in league position, we came up against one of the big boys and we just came up short. It is a bitter pill to swallow."

Meyler, who handed his final medal to his dad when he returned to the team hotel shortly after midnight, opened up on his experience after the game having been selected for a drug test, which involved almost coming to blows with French striker Olivier Giroud.

"They go up and get the trophy, I got randomly drug-tested, so I was one of the two Hull City players who got drug-tested - myself and Matty Fryatt, plus Kieran Gibbs and Olivier Giroud. Once that happens and you enter the tunnel, you're grabbed by two drug people from WADA and they drift you off into a changing room. You're not allowed to go into your own changing room, so I get brought in there.

"You're drenched in sweat, you're not allowed to change, go to the toilet - only for the test - you're not allowed to shower or change, so I sit down with Matty Fryatt, you've got Giroud and Gibbs, and you've got the drug testers. On the tele we can see Arsenal with the trophy, the highlights, so the first thing I do is stand up and turn the tele off, of course, you're gutted.

"Then Giroud has gone, 'oh look, it's a winners medal' - my head's gone, Kieran Gibbs, to be fair to him, went 'don't do that' and he said sorry to us."

You can listen to the full podcast with David Meyler right here