Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin left the hospital on Tuesday afternoon after being admitted to the intensive care unit at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center earlier in the week, the Pentagon said.
"He is recovering well and resumed his full functions and duties," the Pentagon said in a statement.
Austin had been put under general anesthesia on Monday for a non-surgical procedure to treat an "emergent bladder issue," his doctors have said.
He was forced to cancel a planned trip to Brussels this week as a result of the medical episode.
Austin's hospitalization was the secretary's third since his diagnosis of prostate cancer in December.
In the statement on Tuesday announcing his discharge, the Pentagon said his bladder issue was related to a December surgery for prostate cancer but not the cancer itself.
His recent procedure "will have no effect on his excellent cancer prognosis," the Pentagon said.
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin leaves hospital for 3rd time in 2 months originally appeared on abcnews.go.com