Developers give update on Staines fire at high rise where flats have a guide price of £310,000

The fire in Staines town centre was triggered by welding work carried out to a new block of flats under construction developers have said. The massive blaze, which broke out around midday on Wednesday, June 26, could be seen for miles around but fortunately residents had yet to move into the tower block, where the apartments have a guide price of £310,000.

Staff were on site as part of the “fully operational construction development” including those carrying out the welding on the roof. South East Coast Ambulance Service, including its Hazardous Area Response Team attended and assessed four patients who were suffering from smoke inhalation. One was taken to St Peter’s Hospital for further treatment.

An investigation is ongoing developers Fairview New Homes has said, as to what caused some people living nearby to report hearing a loud bang which they believed were gas canisters exploding. Nearby, users of the Staines Community Centre were led to safety with all residents accounted for, the Spelthorne Borough Council said.

READ MORE: Live updates on Staines fire as roads closed but flames under control

READ MORE: Weather forecasters' verdict on when Surrey heatwave will end after 30C high

Developers Fairview said they were notified of the fire at its Rivertown development by their own construction team. The development was originally given planning permission for 206 one-and-two-bedroom flats on the former Masonic Lodge and Telephone Exchange in Elmsleigh Road in 2022.

The site was then sold to Fairview after original developers, Inland Homes overturned Spelthorne Borough Council’s refusal on appeal. The new flats had been due to launch in June this year although that date had already slipped to November before the fire broke out.

A spokesperson for Fairview said: “Around midday today we were notified by our construction team that there was a fire on the roof of one of the blocks at the Staines construction site which resulted from welding works being undertaken on the roof, the fire has now been extinguished.

“The fire brigade was immediately notified and the whole construction site was evacuated in line with standard procedure, one operative was taken to hospital as a precaution. The building which is currently under construction was not occupied.

“We would like to thank the fire brigade for their swift and effective action as well as apologise to the residents and businesses of Staines for any concern or inconvenience caused.”

Those living and working nearby were urged to avoid the area and keep all doors and windows closed. A number of roads were closed while emergency services dealt with the blaze.

Get more news from SurreyLive straight to your inbox for free here.