Vets warning after dog nearly dies from eating four Christmas tree chocolates

Lily the dog was rushed to hospital after eating chocolate Christmas decorations (Picture: PA)

Vets have warned pet owners to keep chocolate away from their animals this Christmas after a small terrier nearly died when it gorged itself on treats.

Lily the Parsons Russell terrier had to be rushed to the vets after she indulged on four chocolate Santa decorations she took from her owner’s Christmas tree.

Luckily for the 14-year-old pooch, vets at Gillingham PDSA Pet Hospital were on hand to provide emergency treatment which saved her life.

PDSA is highlighting Lily’s story to warn pet owners to be extra vigilant this Christmas as many festive treats, including chocolate, can be toxic to pets.

Jenny Pomroy with Lily, a 14-year-old Parsons Russell Terrier (Picture: PA)

Owner Jenny Pomroy, 38, from Twydall in Kent, said: “I’d hung chocolate tree decorations high on the tree, as we do every year, but a few days before Christmas I walked into the sitting room to find decorations and tinsel all over the floor.

“Lily must have climbed the sofa and pulled everything off to get to the chocolate.

“The foil wrappers were gone, so she must have eaten these too!

“I didn’t realise how dangerous it was, but thankfully I’d heard that chocolate can be really poisonous to dogs, so I called PDSA straight away.”

Lily the dog has learned her lesson after falling sick as a result of eating Christmas chocolates (Picture: PA)

Lily, a Parsons Russell Terrier, was given a drug to safely make her sick and then medication to prevent her body from absorbing any remaining toxins.

PDSA vet Soo Ming Teoh added: “It was a good job that Lily was brought into the hospital. Chocolate toxicity is a real concern and her owners were really sensible to bring her straight down to us.

“The amount of chocolate she ate was dangerous for such a small dog and it could have been fatal if she’d been left untreated.

“The wrappers were an additional worry, as there’s a chance they could have caused a dangerous gut blockage.”

READ MORE YAHOO NEWS HERE:

Man finds dead snake in Christmas wreath after noticing smell like 'rotten fish'

Dogs at polling stations: Election day pooches return for 2019 (with festive twist)

Quaint Suffolk town left disappointed after Christmas tree swapped for tinsel-decorated flagpole

Ms Teoh said Lily was lucky she didn’t suffer fatal kidney damage.

Ms Pomroy is encouraging other pet owners to keep chocolate well out of reach of their pet’s paws this Christmas.

If you think your pet might have eaten something they shouldn’t, call your vet immediately as they might need urgent treatment, depending on the amount they have eaten.